Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Re: Ancestry dna

Hi Siblee, I really wish I could, unfortunately with both my parents being Irish I don't think I would get beyond my grandparents ancestry. My dad hailed from Rathkeale Co Limerick and accordinng to my cousins, going back beyond his parents I believe all that happened when babies were born (my dad was one of 18, several twins) their names when born were just entered into the Catholic church registry book, no other details and that was it. All kids back then were just referred to as "Brats". so have a feeling if I got in touch with the Irish Registry I would draw a blank beyond 1920.
Don't know whether it was the same with Mum who hailed from Ballylongford Co Kerry.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Does everyone come from Ireland originally, apparently our male line goes back in time to Northern Ireland too and one of my great great great grandfather picked up a VC for activities in the Crimean War, and died in of all places Jamaica. Geneolgy is a fascinating subject
I suspect I may have bunged a great to many there..my maths is crap.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 09:45 PM

Two friends of mine had had this DNA test done.
One paid £200, the other paid £99 and both are thrilled with the results.
Yes, it seems like a good idea but really, how would the information enrich or change my life?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 09:50 PM

And how could you live with yourself if you find out something really horrible...like being French or something L
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
I was really surprised at the price. £79 plus another £10 for posting and packing. Results come down the wire with an outline on a map of the trail that you can print off.

Over the Christmas period it was twenty pounds cheaper so they do offers at quiet times.

I had paid £300 for a test with my brother some years previously so it seemed fair to me.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/
Thanks for that Silbee. I'm going to treat myself and have a go! Will keep you posted.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi Siblee, I really wish I could, unfortunately with both my parents being Irish I don't think I would get beyond my grandparents ancestry. My dad hailed from Rathkeale Co Limerick and accordinng to my cousins, going back beyond his parents I believe all that happened when babies were born (my dad was one of 18, several twins) their names when born were just entered into the Catholic church registry book, no other details and that was it. All kids back then were just referred to as "Brats". so have a feeling if I got in touch with the Irish Registry I would draw a blank beyond 1920.
Don't know whether it was the same with Mum who hailed from Ballylongford Co Kerry.
That 'brats' thing is bad isn't it? Your Dad was one of 18, his poor Mother. How wonder how many of his sibling and their off spring emigrated to America, so many did.

I hit a wall after my maternal great grandmother, I have no clue of her maiden name.

I ask myself all the time why I didn't ask my mother more questions.

I have a picture of my great, great grandmother though.
Silbee
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Thanks for that Silbee. I'm going to treat myself and have a go! Will keep you posted.
I'll be really interested to know your result.

A friend had one done recently and she was mostly British small percentage of west europe and 2% Africa, I wasn't surprised you can see it in her amazing cheekbones.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I am back to the 1700's with my Irish ancesters. Contrary to urban myth - not all the records were lost in 1916 - just some of them. Ancestry has most of the Irish census returns on line now - so it might be worth having a look at them. Plus - if they were catholic - they would have had Baptismal certificates - so they should also be available.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 11:20 PM

What about all those Saxons, sending off all their DNA Samples.
Silbee

16-01-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What about all those Saxons, sending off all their DNA Samples.
What repercussions are you foreseeing?

I remember watching Sheila Hancock on who do you think you are. Her late father absolutely hated the Germans, if it ever came up he would go off on an Alf Garnet type rant.

I can't remember the exact details of it now but it turned out that either his great grandfather or grandfather was German. she was so shocked, didn't see it coming at all.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top