Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 10:45 AM

Does Britain need foreign workers?

We need skilled labour we don't need more toilet cleaners fruit pickers or Big Issue sellers.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 10:47 AM

Re: Does Britain need foreign workers?

Agreed!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 10:52 AM

Hi

There are a lot of British Unemployed who are far too picky about their jobs, especially when it comes to the agricultural sector.

They want warm, clean jobs, weekends off and not having to work 365 days a year, even on rota and certainly do not fancy harvest time.

To be fair, every single young kid round here who wants a job has one, certain others just laugh at them and call them idiots for working.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 10:53 AM

I have no problem at all with immigrant settlers as long as they already have a job to come to and can support themselves financially.
gvm
Sussex, UK
gvm is male  gvm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 11:18 AM

You're absolutely right swimfeeders, all the British kids have had it so easy now that they shy away from any real work! - there is plenty out there but about the only people who will do manual work are Eastern European immigrants....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by gvm ->
You're absolutely right swimfeeders, all the British kids have had it so easy now that they shy away from any real work! - there is plenty out there but about the only people who will do manual work are Eastern European immigrants....
"all the British kids!" ???????????????
That's a pretty awful generalisation. Between us, my wife and I have 8 children from our previous marriages (youngest 23) and apart from one who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and is registered disabled as a result, they are all in full-time work. Our youngest does hard physical labour for an equipment hire firm - leaves home at 5.30am each day and gets back at 6pm. Another is a self-employed window cleaner and has to work hard to keep up his income -especially in the winter months. Our oldest girl is a self-employed painter and decorator. Even our mentally ill boy volunteers in a charity shop and helps them by upcycling furniture - he sees it as payback as they paid for him to do a french polishing course. They all have a very strong work ethic and far from being unusual, they are the same as all their friends who also work full-time. The gutter press love to put working class people down - we shouldn't encourage them by falling for their lies and distortions.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 11:46 AM

Until commercial growers find a way to advertise here and are stopped from advertising abroad our youngsters won't stand a chance of getting a job, one thing everyone ignores is our job centres are not fit for purpose. You try getting a job through them and you will see for yourself how bad they are.

People also seem to think ignoring our employment rules and offering decent wages is something bad, well I applaud anyone standing up for what our ancestors fought long and hard to achieve for us.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
"all the British kids!" ???????????????
That's a pretty awful generalisation. Between us, my wife and I have 8 children from our previous marriages (youngest 23) and apart from one who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and is registered disabled as a result, they are all in full-time work. Our youngest does hard physical labour for an equipment hire firm - leaves home at 5.30am each day and gets back at 6pm. Another is a self-employed window cleaner and has to work hard to keep up his income -especially in the winter months. Our oldest girl is a self-employed painter and decorator. Even our mentally ill boy volunteers in a charity shop and helps them by upcycling furniture - he sees it as payback as they paid for him to do a french polishing course. They all have a very strong work ethic and far from being unusual, they are the same as all their friends who also work full-time. The gutter press love to put working class people down - we shouldn't encourage them by falling for their lies and distortions.
I agree Mickb we are currently trying to find a way to fund one of ours into a training course for midwives, he wants to carry on working to fund it himself and all his friends are the same working hard for very little, they'll never own a home or retire they realise that at 19 what makes them work hard if there is no hope ? I'm quite impressed they are bothering at all.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:03 PM

There is a problem for sure. I live on the border between rural Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire. Just to the east is `growing` land. The gangmasters(oh yes they still exist) now make it quite clear they prefer to give employment to those from Eastern Europe-they work all day for fcuk all mate.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Of course we need foreign workers, we always have, but it's the system that has let our young people down. It seems to be a rite of passage now to send school leavers to university instead of teaching them Bricklaying, Plumbing, Engineering and Woodwork, we have run down all our skilled services and now there are no old blokes left to teach the young ones. I went to college on day release during my apprenticeship, but it was the old guys who I worked alongside that taught me most about engineering.

So now skilled Polish workers come here and do the building, plumbing and other skilled jobs [and good on them] because we haven't produced enough young people to carry on the traditions.

I watch an awful lot of quiz shows and they always ask the contestants about what jobs they do, and what do we get? Managers of this and that, sales analysts, advertising executives, Finance directors, not once have I heard from an Electrician, Plumber or Joiner. I hate to say it.....But....The jobs tally on quiz shows would have been very different before we joined the EU......

And now ducks for cover.......

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top