Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Re: Does Britain need foreign workers?

I'd employ a foreign worker if a) they were the best applicant b) were legally in the UK. and c) could speak English to a standard not to jeopardise the safety of themselves and those around them.

Having said that.....I think any offer of employment should be given to a Brit first....if applicants were of the same quality.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:22 PM

Thus was it always. An inbuilt snobbery about getting one`s hands dirty. I remember `What`s my Line` -Are you salaried or a wage earner?

OK I got the 11+ and did go to University. I cannot change that-nor can I change the most basic DIY things.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 01:33 PM

In my opinion, there will always be a need for foreign workers here but not at the expense of a British person being put last in the queue.

I admire Australia's stance on things. Recalling our recent recession, it hit them too because whilst watching a programme called "Wanted Down Under" one man was enquiring about his chances of getting a job in his profession as a car mechanic. The boss of the company that had been showing him around told him that when there was a vacancy, Aussi's got preferential treatment for the job before incomers.
That to me is the correct way of filling a vacancy.
Pity our lot didn't see it the same way!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
In my opinion, there will always be a need for foreign workers here but not at the expense of a British person being put last in the queue.

I admire Australia's stance on things. Recalling our recent recession, it hit them too because whilst watching a programme called "Wanted Down Under" one man was enquiring about his chances of getting a job in his profession as a car mechanic. The boss of the company that had been showing him around told him that when there was a vacancy, Aussi's got preferential treatment for the job before incomers.
That to me is the correct way of filling a vacancy.
Pity our lot didn't see it the same way!
Gibraltar has a similar approach.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 06:26 PM

So has the Isle of man .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
So has the Isle of man .
Gibraltar's seems to be a little too specific......although unwrtten it goes like this..
1) Gibraltarian
2) British
3) European
4) Anyone else
5) Moroccon
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Its does seem if you want to get rid of all the immigrants and employ Brits you have to get them out of bed first..

Quote from article in the guardian.
A favourite argument of those who oppose immigration is that migrant workers "take our jobs". The Day the Immigrants Left, presented by Evan Davies (BBC1), went to Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, a town with thousands of eastern European workers and 2,000 local people on the dole. The producers arranged for 12 of the latter to replace 12 of the former for two days to see if they were as ready, willing and able to work at anything as a) they claimed and b) their immigrant counterparts were.

Half turned up late or not at all. "I won't do a job I don't find very interesting," said 26-year-old Lewis, who has been unemployed for five years and was supposed to go to a potato factory. "I do feel a little bit pressurised to get a job, but it's not to the point that I can just take any job that comes." Those that did eventually arrive were a woeful sight. Paul and Terry insisted that the potato-sorting machines had been set deliberately fast (they had actually been slowed down to accommodate the two trainees), one of many examples from the British workers of a persistent and fatally crippling sense of grievance and entitlement.

Carpenter Dean reacted with fury to his Lithuanian supervisor's instructions to use screws rather than a nail gun, which would take longer but make his plasterboard work stand firm. Ashley quit his restaurant job halfway through his first lunchtime on his first day and then sat down happily to eat the meal offered by his saintly employer Ali.

You looked in vain for a glimmer of shame or embarrassment in any of them, but came up emptyhanded. You could try to tell yourself that their attitudes masked the insecurities that come with unemployment, and at times Davies bent over backwards to put a better gloss on their behaviour: at one point, he tried to suggest to the farm owner that availability of foreign labour had made employers lazy when it came to "coaxing and motivating" local workers. But it was hard not to suspect, as you watched the infuriating dozen, stunned by the prospect of physical labour, resentful of any advice, childish and utterly unmotivated by the presence of a television crew or the knowledge that even their greatest perceived sufferings would be over within 48 hours, that the natives might just be revolting.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2017, 07:48 PM

That seems more like an arguement used by the "allow unlimited immigration" brigade.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 08:50 PM

Sounds like bullshit to me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There are a lot of British Unemployed who are far too picky about their jobs, especially when it comes to the agricultural sector.

They want warm, clean jobs, weekends off and not having to work 365 days a year, even on rota and certainly do not fancy harvest time.

To be fair, every single young kid round here who wants a job has one, certain others just laugh at them and call them idiots for working.
Stop all benefits unless the recipient has been able to prove that they have no option but to claim.

If only.

There would be many who'd be laughing on the other side of their faces then.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top