Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Re: Does Britain need foreign workers?

This seems a good job i would think would get a lot of applicants.
However you need a degree in Agriculture.
So that immediately rules out a large number of people.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 02:26 PM

You also need several years experience.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
So do a degree in Agriculture instead of Meeja Studies!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Hi

That is the problem, we are not training enough youngsters in the right things.

We do not have enough Doctors or Nurses, so we use Migrants.

We do not have enough proper apprenticeships and we certainly do not pay our engineers enough.

Even if we start now, it will be years before we get enough of our own.

We have thousands of Media Studies and Fine Arts Graduates, not enough technical graduates.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
You also need several years experience.
Hi

Well, a newly qualified, who starts off as assistant farm manager is on £25k a year, again plus totally free accommodation.

Free accommodation is worth a lot.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 03:22 PM

Yes and nothing like £35000 with free accommodation for anyone just off the dole as was suggested. No wonder no one can find these jobs that are so readily available according to the member.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-01-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes and nothing like £35000 with free accommodation for anyone just off the dole as was suggested. No wonder no one can find these jobs that are so readily available according to the member.
Hi

Where was that suggested?

This is what I wrote.

Hi

Not all agricultural jobs are growers as people put it.

Farming around here is large, industrial size dairy and livestock, the only things we grow are for animal feed, apart from potatoes.

The farms are large and automated, these are skilled jobs,not unskilled labour in the main, and are paid accordingly.

We have trouble finding qualified UK staff for them, in spite of the wages and free accommodation.

Damian, my cleaners husband, bought an Audi Q7 with his bonus 2 years ago.

He has a 4 bedroom detached, less than 2 years old, on the farm, it is totally rent free, no Council tax bills, electricity bills etc etc, all paid for by his employer.

There were no UK applicants for the job at all with the right qualifications.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 04:16 PM

You said if I thought £35000 etc wasn't decent wage etc I was living in cloud cuckoo land and have changed the parameters of the job as people haven't believed the original figures. Back tracking all the way now claim you didn't state it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm baffled what we did prior to Eastern European countries joining Eu, were apples rotting on trees, cows unmilked, no one serving coffee or cleaning offices etc ? I seem to recall in my little bit of the world we didn't suffer for lack of coffee and our offices were cleaned by British people. We don't have many cows or apples in Woking high street

So why are we so sure we need Eastern European cheap labour ? Or is it cheap that we are saying we want ? That we are not willing to pay a reasonable wage for a decent days work ?
I remember that everything was far more expensive. Relative to income, food was far dearer than it is now. If people come here sleep ten to a room they can afford to live on low wages and our supermarkets can pass on the savings to consumers.

Some of these people are desperate and there are very nasty practices by gangmasters and agencies. People are given trial periods before they start earning for example and end up working for nothing and then they tell them they are not good enough and find another one.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 07:23 AM

Funny thing is that I remember all these "ten in a room, sharing five beds" stories being circulated about Asian people during the early 60's. They were not true then and they are not true now.

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top