Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Duped.

In my early internet days I befriended a woman on a Canadian Forum who had cancer. After many months of building up a cyber friendship - not just with me but a few other members as well, she stopped posting.
We were worried sick and a week later her son came on the forum to break the news to us that his mum has ended her life - the pain was too much.

I sat at my computer and sobbed.

We had a special commemoration thread to talk about her life and the friendship she brought to us.

A few weeks later, we had honoured her, cried for her & put her to rest with our fondest memories.

The forum got back to normal and a few weeks later the forum chief broke the news to us that this 'dead' member had been trying to join under a different name!

She sent us all emails cursing us and saying she'd done no harm. I guess she was a complete nutter but she fooled me and a few others.

I do tend to take people at face value and even now believe a story until proven false.

How about you?
Have you ever been duped by an internet 'friend'?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Re: Duped.

No....and I never intend to be...so I won't be responding to any more sob stories....But what a nut-job that one must have been Carol...why in gawds Name do They do it I wonder.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 05:27 PM

Over the years I have met many people on forums who posted 'stories' that turned out not to be not genuine.
Firstly, I think everyone who joins a site is entitled to be given the benefit of the doubt and the validity of their posts accepted until time/experience proves something different .

Secondly and this applies in the main to advice and support given to members, if time demonstrates a member is not genuine it doesn't matter if people have responded to them nothing is lost .
The advice and support may be of use to another person who finds themselves in a similar situation and searches the Internet looking for support .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
In my early internet days I befriended a woman on a Canadian Forum who had cancer. After many months of building up a cyber friendship - not just with me but a few other members as well, she stopped posting.
We were worried sick and a week later her son came on the forum to break the news to us that his mum has ended her life - the pain was too much.

We had a special commemoration thread to talk about her life and the friendship she brought to us.

A few weeks later, we had honoured her, cried for her & put her to rest with our fondest memories.

The forum got back to normal and a few weeks later the forum chief broke the news to us that this 'dead' member had been trying to join under a different name!

She sent us all emails cursing us and saying she'd done no harm. I guess she was a complete nutter but she fooled me and a few others.

I do tend to take people at face value and even now believe a story until proven false.

How about you?
Gawd ... I've never been duped by a forum friend.
But I have had a friend on a forum who was been stalked online.
One day .. the Admin of the forum announced to us all that this friend had just died unexpectedly.
I confess, I did shed a few tears as he was a good friend and I knew I'd miss him ... and I did make a very open post from the heart saying how sad I was.
And, you've guessed. The next day he rolled up on the forum frantically trying to sort it all out. It had been his stalker.
I wouldn't have minded so much, as I was so relieved and glad he was alive, but some of the members on there took the mickey out of me for days ... and days .. they saw it all as a joke and I'm afraid it all wore a bit thin.
In the end I had to re-evaluate some of those people.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

How about you?
Yes! I have told this story before. In the late 90s, when I was new to forums and a bit naïve where they are concerned, I got friendly, as I thought, with a 'Christian' woman from Florida. I fell for her tragic tale of woe and parted with the equivalent of £1000 in American dollars to help her out. Suffice to say I later discovered that others had fallen for it too but she was a fake! I have also met some people in reality whom I got acquainted with first on forums, only to discover they were nothing like their forum personality, and not the sort of people I would wish to know in real life. These days I only post on forums to have my say, NEVER to get involved with posters personally.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 06:31 PM

T., your heart is obviously in the right place.
Try not to be too wary of new online acquaintances.
I suspect you were a tad unlucky and the perp was very, very plausible.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 06:40 PM

Blimey Carol, that's awful. What joy do people get from lying to others all the time - very weird people.

No, touch wood, I haven't ever been caught like that and hope I never do.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Over the years I have met many people on forums who posted 'stories' that turned out not to be not genuine.
Firstly, I think everyone who joins a site is entitled to be given the benefit of the doubt and the validity of their posts accepted until time/experience proves something different .

Secondly and this applies in the main to advice and support given to members, if time demonstrates a member is not genuine it doesn't matter if people have responded to them nothing is lost .
The advice and support may be of use to another person who finds themselves in a similar situation and searches the Internet looking for suppor
t .
Originally Posted by carol
do tend to take people at face value and even now believe a story until proven false.
Absolutely agree with you both
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=tarantula;1074881].
I fell for her tragic tale of woe and parted with the equivalent of £1000 in American dollars to help her out. Suffice to say I later discovered that others had fallen for it too but she was a fake!
[QUOTE]

£1,000 - WOW!!!!!

I didn't think Tarantula could be taken in like that!

If my forum 'friend' had hinted at needing money I would have smelled a rat but at no time did she ask for any.

She just wanted attention. She even posted pictures of a bald headed woman with cancer saying it was herself.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2017, 07:40 PM

Blimey Carol, was the son real? If so, how could he have played along with the scam? Or do you think it was her posing as a son?

That is an awful trick to play on people.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top