Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 11:32 AM

Re: Brits to be allowed to opt in to EU citizenship

I think we all approve of close ties with Europe flicks what we don't approve of is being governed by a European Government we never ever wanted that. I still don't fully understand the European Citizenship proposal so I will defer judgement. As I said on another thread though I can't help thinking that France has put this forward with the expectation we will safeguard the jobs of the thousands of French working in the UK... Cynical? Yes I suppose so.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I don't understand it either? Whatever it is it's bound to cost us money, I think they are dreaming up schemes to ensure we keep supporting them financially.
Hi

I really don't see what the issue is.

It is up to each individual person to pay themselves.

For the young ones, it gives them access to very cheap travel in the EU.

For one of my neighbours it is an ideal solution to his problem.

He lives in Prees, works four days a week in Germany.

We when leave the EU, we are restricting the right of EU Residents to live and or work here.

We will no longer be EU Citizens, so our rights to live and work in the EU will be similarly affected.

As it is the individuals who are paying or taking up the free offer, I do not see what the problem is.

I must declare a personal interest in this.

I have two Mid 30s Polish lads who stay with me from time to time, they live in Poland, not in the UK.

They have two UK Businesses registered at my address .

Very profitable businesses and they pay Tax in the UK and do not claim any Benefits at all.

They also have a Polish Business Registered at my address, simply because of Tax, they pay much less tax in the UK than they would do in Poland,

This arrangement cannot continue after a Hard Brexit, they are Polish Citizens , but do not live in the UK, so not entitled to any agreement guaranteeing their rights as EU Citizens already living in the UK.

So, the net result is this.

If my neighbour cannot take advantage of this, out he goes.

The UK loses £ 38k a year in tax and NI.

The Polish lads leave, the UK loses a £22,700 a year in tax, two UK Residents lose their jobs.

People really have not thought this out.

There are two ways of leaving the EU, a Soft Brexit, or a Hard Brexit.

I voted out, I do not regret that.

I did not vote for financial suicide and the effect that that would have on the most vulnerable in Society.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 11:44 AM

Yes, I can see the logic there swims. It's early days this is a new proposal, doubtless everyone will be looking at the implications
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
So do you think it would be completely free?
I have just been looking up how much it costs to renew a British passport to an E passport so I can get into the US.

It will cost nearly 150 pounds before it arrives on my doorstep.

Is the British govt making any money out of it?
You betcha.

Do I use that to bang the British govt over the head..?
No.

The EU is suggesting that UK citizens can KEEP their EU citizenship. Not apply for it.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Brexit: UK 'associate EU citizenship' to be fast-tracked http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38264203

The European Parliament's top Brexit negotiator says he plans to fast-track a proposal to offer UK nationals "associate EU citizenship".
The proposal "will be on the table of the upcoming Brexit negotiations", liberal MEP Guy Verhofstadt said.
UK nationals could have the option of paying a fee in order to keep rights such as freedom of movement in the EU and a vote in European elections.
Mr Verhofstadt said strong interest in the idea meant it could not be delayed.
Originally a liberal ALDE party colleague, Luxembourg MEP Charles Goerens, had included "associate EU citizenship" among reforms to be considered in the next EU treaty change.
But Mr Verhofstadt said "some things cannot wait until treaty change".
The proposal will also be discussed by the European Parliament when it draws up a resolution on Brexit, "right after the triggering of Article 50 in March", he said.
Mr Goerens's citizenship proposal may not convince Eurosceptics like UK Brexit Secretary David Davis, who has emphasised the importance of UK sovereignty and citizenship.
The UK government plans to trigger the EU exit procedure - Article 50 - by 31 March.
Experts on EU law say the legal position of UK citizens post-Brexit remains uncertain, as it is possible that some aspects of EU citizenship will be retained.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 11:06 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161214-163327.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	2450

mei
Asia
mei is female  mei has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I really don't see what the issue is.

It is up to each individual person to pay themselves.

For the young ones, it gives them access to very cheap travel in the EU.

For one of my neighbours it is an ideal solution to his problem.

He lives in Prees, works four days a week in Germany.

We when leave the EU, we are restricting the right of EU Residents to live and or work here.

We will no longer be EU Citizens, so our rights to live and work in the EU will be similarly affected.

As it is the individuals who are paying or taking up the free offer, I do not see what the problem is.

I must declare a personal interest in this.

I have two Mid 30s Polish lads who stay with me from time to time, they live in Poland, not in the UK.

They have two UK Businesses registered at my address .

Very profitable businesses and they pay Tax in the UK and do not claim any Benefits at all.

They also have a Polish Business Registered at my address, simply because of Tax, they pay much less tax in the UK than they would do in Poland,

This arrangement cannot continue after a Hard Brexit, they are Polish Citizens , but do not live in the UK, so not entitled to any agreement guaranteeing their rights as EU Citizens already living in the UK.

So, the net result is this.

If my neighbour cannot take advantage of this, out he goes.

The UK loses £ 38k a year in tax and NI.

The Polish lads leave, the UK loses a £22,700 a year in tax, two UK Residents lose their jobs.

People really have not thought this out.

There are two ways of leaving the EU, a Soft Brexit, or a Hard Brexit.

I voted out, I do not regret that.

I did not vote for financial suicide and the effect that that would have on the most vulnerable in Society.

Spot on swimfeeders!
mei
Asia
mei is female  mei has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think we all approve of close ties with Europe flicks what we don't approve of is being governed by a European Government we never ever wanted that. I still don't fully understand the European Citizenship proposal so I will defer judgement. As I said on another thread though I can't help thinking that France has put this forward with the expectation we will safeguard the jobs of the thousands of French working in the UK... Cynical? Yes I suppose so.

I would not necessarily bet on that Summer as the French are desperate to bring their expats back home, the latter fled the country when , Holland was elected and could not find anything smarter to say but that he hated the rich and that they would pay a hard price and indeed he lost millions euros in taxes with all the young and dynamics entrepreneurs flying to London, Brussels, Hong Kong and the Emirates to open flourishing businesses, over 1.68 Million altogether are abroad paying out of the French government which has everything to lose. 300 000 of them are in than U.K and Hong Kong is currently opening its 5th French School.

But the Brits are very well integrated in the E.U. Many work for the E.U where they are very much appreciated, as they are creative and out of the box thinkers, they also work in France, Germany, Belgium and senior Brits boost the Spanish economics with their pensions spend in Spain.

None of them want to go back home it seems nor do they want to lose their jobs , and they flocked the consulates post Brexit to get E.U passports . I think that the E.U countries would not want them to leave either, in this period of globalisation many countries need these English speakers who are often multi lingual and out of the box thinkers, so this proposal could be a win win for all I guess.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top