Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 06:37 PM

Re: Pond help ....

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Mine doesn't have fish now either, the heron ate them, but it is full of wildlife, including newts, water beetles, lava of all sorts, pond skaters etc. I top it up with the hose, which is attached, every other day. With no fish it doesn't have to be full. As long as you don't use much tap water it should be OK, I did it when we had fish too & they all lived to a great age & would have lived even longer & older if the heron hadn't got them. I hope it got dreadful indigestion from eating geriatric fish.

I shouldn't laugh but......
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think if you're hoping to keep livestock, you'd be well advised to get a pump and UV filter.

Yes, although they cost a bob or two, they cost peanuts to run - mine is something like 20W, if I recall correctly, and I keep it running 24/7 (to use a millennial term!).

I wouldn't bother with a solar-powered pump.
The critters seem to love it, no problems. Year in year out it's full of livestock. They obviously love muck

Yes, in an ideal world it would be nice to get a pump and UV filter.... but it's such a big pond, I'd have to get an expensive one. Besides, the leccy bill is bad enough as it is, without having something else added on

It's been fine for the 7yrs I've been here, just a bit green the last couple of years for some reason, when it's always been clear.

And then the sun we've had lately has had an effect on the level. Not the norm is it?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
The critters seem to love it, no problems. Year in year out it's full of livestock. They obviously love muck

Yes, in an ideal world it would be nice to get a pump and UV filter.... but it's such a big pond, I'd have to get an expensive one. Besides, the leccy bill is bad enough as it is, without having something else added on

It's been fine for the 7yrs I've been here, just a bit green the last couple of years for some reason, when it's always been clear.

And then the sun we've had lately has had an effect on the level. Not the norm is it?
Oh yes. I was thinking about fish, but frogs, toads and insects are probably more happy in stagnant water.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-07-2018, 07:25 PM

Oh yes. I was thinking about fish, but frogs, toads and insects are probably more happy in stagnant water.
It's not stagnant..... just green
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 07:49 PM

It's not stagnant..... just green
OK. Green then!

(Stagnant means simply having no current or flow. It doesn't mean it's full of s***.)
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-07-2018, 07:53 PM

OK. Green then!

(Stagnant means simply having no current or flow. It doesn't mean it's full of s***.)
I knew that! .... I've not got CSE's for nothing (puffs chest out)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-07-2018, 07:54 PM

I knew that! .... I've not got CSE's for nothing (puffs chest out)
No offence intended, Pasta.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-07-2018, 08:02 PM

No offence intended, Pasta.
I know that you plonker, I'm only sparring with ya

Oi, just noticed, you called me Pasta - come here, I'll marmalise ya
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-07-2018, 08:13 PM

I know that you plonker, I'm only sparring with ya

Oi, just noticed, you called me Pasta - come here, I'll marmalise ya
Sorry. I always check my posts for spelling and grammatical mistakes and never, well very rarely, make silly mistakes like that.

Honest!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-07-2018, 08:38 PM

Sorry. I always check my posts for spelling and grammatical mistakes and never, well very rarely, make silly mistakes like that.

Honest!

I don't mind being called pasta, 'owt's better than nowt. Just don't call me noodles

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top