Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 06:10 PM

Camping!

My two girls are up in the lakes having a long weekend under canvass.
Oh yes one is 42 and the other 52, it seems the bug never leaves us, we had any a happy hour when we were young round the country.
It has been suggested that Swmbo and I join them one weekend, I would but Swmbo would be doubtful.
Have you slummed it under canvass at all?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Re: Camping!

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Oh yes one is 42 and the other 52, it seems the bug never leaves us, we had any a happy hour when we were young round the country.
It has been suggested that Swmbo and I join them one weekend, I would but Swmbo would be doubtful.

Not bloody likely, Arthur matey, I need my creature comforts, like a nice soft bed, and all the other 'facilities' a hotel can offer at the end of a telephone call.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 07:08 PM

We spent many happy holidays under canvas when our children were young. We always took our dogs, (they've all enjoyed swimming in the sea or river)
Both of our children still take a week a year, in their tents.
The other week, our daughter spends on their boat and our son goes to France with his in laws.
Neither of us could manage now .. too old and decrepit and like Geoff said, I like my creature comforts now.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 08:52 PM

yes many times.
Nearly 2 months in the lake district March/April 71
Holidays in UK before and after 71.

Long weekends at beer tent at steam rallies in Oxon(every year for about 20 years) Last time was 2001
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Slummed it ?????

I am SHOCKED
Never EVER would I class it as 'slumming'

Being free to come and go as you will, experience the joys of early morning mists/rain/thunderstorms/leaky canvas (or late morning hang-overs) was always a joy .... erm ... more or less

Seriously ~ I used to love it.
The only problem for me was the prospect of loos/washrooms with the ever present 'wildlife' and in particular, spiders.
Later on, we bought a VW Camper and a portable loo.
We'd take a tent with us and there you go.
Slept in the van or the tent, depending on our mood or the weather.

Bliss ... freedom ... *sighs*
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 09:55 PM

We used to love camping all seasons too, well remember nearly freezing to death one February when it snowed us in ! We had a proper canvas tent not one of those new fangled plastic dome jobbies.

Molliedog was 2 when we last camped so that would be 10 years ago, we used to laugh at her when we bedded down for the night she always looked at us like we were mad and seemed to be saying but we have a lovely bed at home why are we on the floor in this cold field

Lost our late Rosie dog last time we camped sort of finished it for us we just couldn't get up the enthusiasm for it again.

Not sure we could do it now anyway, my MS is worse and Steven's knee and back just wouldn't be able to crawl around on the floor like we did.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We used to love camping all seasons too, well remember nearly freezing to death one February when it snowed us in ! We had a proper canvas tent not one of those new fangled plastic dome jobbies.
Yayyyy Julie ~ has to be real canvas for me too
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 10:22 PM

I only went camping once, hated it. Horrible earthy smell in the tent, greenfly dropping in the coffee, walking across a field for a wash, no definitely not for me, I hated every minute and would never do it again.

I hasten to add though that I love staying in tented safari camps, such as Mara Safari Camp, not quite the same though, four posted beds, brilliant bathroom, even someone to come and put a hotwater bottle in your bed and wake you up with tea or coffee, then breakfast in the dining room. Now that kind of camping I can cope with.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Got the camping bug when I was a girl guide. We have camped in this country and abroad. The last time we went camping was in Delamere forest about two years ago. But I think those days are over now
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2013, 12:29 AM

Not often, I prefer motels but occasionally you come to a mining area where there is just no accommodation because of the mining boom. Or you are literally in the middle of no where and the nearest town is a few hundred Kms away

I always carry a small tent this one is spring loaded and puts itself up in about 15 seconds (bugger all that canvas). This was at Roma in central Queensland. The camp site was $15 with power.

Oh yes, I am 66, so it never leaves you..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top