Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 08:23 PM

Re: My allotment

Nothing done this week still too cold and wet to work the ground

The cold Keeps the weeds down.

Off on holiday Sunday so will have to sow my late cauls planted last year in the cold frame early than I would like with the state of the conditions.

This year have not started anything such as Tomatoes and brassicas in the cold frame only sprouts.

Will not be planting Parsnips Peppers and Leeks this year as have enough in the freezer.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 05:20 PM

Just back off Holiday so today went to see if my potatoes had started sprouting.

My shed had been blown over by the gales and to make matters worse had a notice pinned by the council accusing me of Fly tipping.

The hard work starts next Month.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

03-04-2016, 09:20 PM

Last couple of days warm with sunshine.

Planted 4 rows of Beetroot and 3 rows of peas.

Tomorrow weather permitting will sow 2 rows of carrots and finish of the weeding.

Onions are a disaster but Garlic doing fine.

All potatoes 6 rows are now planted.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

29-04-2016, 02:59 AM

Potatoes showing luckly the mild frost has not effected them banked them up today

Beets just starting to show.

Will put my second row of carrots in this week.

Put back my sowing of sweet corn till at least the third week in May

Strawberries some flowers on and small fruits forming.

Every thing seems late this year, even the weeds.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

04-05-2016, 11:57 PM

First bit of warm weather and ground drying out fast.

Sowed Second row of carrots and had to water will start to plant my lettuce out end of week.

Had forgotten about cucumbers this year rush out tomorrow and get some seeds not too late to start indoors.

Peas started showing not covered and have been pecked to death by the birds.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

06-05-2016, 10:46 AM

Went down to day and sore a nice lady who had brought some Tomato plants and sweet corn and planted them.

Sweet corn might survive but one cold snap will kill the Toms.

Had to start watering as ground is drying out fast.

Planted sweet corn seeds to day.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:00 PM

Galty, I visited my allotment friend this afternoon and she showed me her cuttings and seedling out in the garden. She has several pop up greenhouses and cloches, and she said the tomato plants wouldn't be able to go out for another month in case of a cold snap. So yes you're right.

I've only put in potatoes, in the ground and greenhouse (bag) but am not sure when I'll have a chance to water.

When I come home from Bournemouth I'll have a look at my seed packets and see if I have time to plant anything!! Covered my raised bed for now, while I was decorating, but now most is done I'm almost free again.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:10 PM

We dont have an allotment but a box with Lettuce , Radish and Spring onions in , they get covered up at night with a cloche

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010085.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	955  
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

07-05-2016, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Galty, I visited my allotment friend this afternoon and she showed me her cuttings and seedling out in the garden. She has several pop up greenhouses and cloches, and she said the tomato plants wouldn't be able to go out for another month in case of a cold snap. So yes you're right.

I've only put in potatoes, in the ground and greenhouse (bag) but am not sure when I'll have a chance to water.

When I come home from Bournemouth I'll have a look at my seed packets and see if I have time to plant anything!! Covered my raised bed for now, while I was decorating, but now most is done I'm almost free again.
Think the hard work is almost over will just be weeding and watering plus planting out the plants that are prone to cold nights end of June . Autume will be when the hard work starts again with the deep digging to get the ground ready for next year.

Plus the Joy of gathering you own Veg through the winter.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

11-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Nice bit of light rain and constant for the last two days this will bring on the seedlings.. and the weeds.

Potatoes are showing hope on heavy frosts for the next two weeks.

Tomatoes in doors are showing 4 leaves but need another month to plant out.

Planted Ice berg to day and sowed more seeds indoors.

As mentioned before my onions are a disaster but other plots on my allotment are doing fine...any advice on this would be welcome.

Aspargas not to good did muck about with them last year trans planting them

Rubarb are showing threw at last and looking good after trans planting them last year but well behind other plots.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top