Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:25 AM

40 years.

Elvis died 40 years ago today.He's still The King.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:58 AM

Re: 40 years.

Oh yes,I remember hearing the news as clear as if it were yesterday.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:59 AM

One of my favourite songs was "In The Ghetto".
Smile
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:15 AM

And he still makes millions every year, as someone said at the time "a great career move" ...
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:27 AM

I was working on a Narrowboat in the midlands with a group of teenagers when the news came through. There seemed to be nothing else but Elvis on the news for days. Most of the kids were pretty underwhelmed by the news. Sounds strange to say it, but I was never a fan - I was too young. My sister, who is three years older than me, was a huge fan of Elvis,Cliff Richard, Marty Wilde etc. I was much more into newer pop stars like Adam Faith at the time. What I do remember is the awful tribute song by Danny Mirror (actually Dutch music producer Eddie Ouwens) released in September 1977.........

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:41 AM

I hate In The Ghetto and all the later schmaltzy stuff...I love the early raw Elvis before the army, before he was ruined by the circus.
Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, One Nght With You, Jailhouse Rock, Are You Looking For Trouble?, Crawfish...

There's one late Elvis song I adore, despite it's cheesy...and that's American Trilogy, always makes my skin tingle
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Sorry ladies, but I am the odd one out here.
I quite liked him, but that's all. I didn't rave over him, and wouldn't have swooned if I'd met him. I remember him singing 'Old Shep' which used to bring a tear to me eye as a kid though.

Did anyone see the Joanna Lumley programme about him on telly the other night. Then the next programme was 'The Nations favourite Elvis Song.'

2 & half hours of Elvis that night! Interviewing Priscilla and all that.

Sorry to be cynical, but I think he is only still 'The King' , because publicity and the media won't let him rest.
Do they make such programmes over other old singers, like Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis, Buddy Holly, Frank Sinatra etc?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:43 AM

An immortal soul. Never to be forgotten.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:45 AM

I cannot believe it has been 40 years already. Wow

Sorry I am one of the ones that love In the Ghetto and American Triology.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 12:25 PM

You know if Elvis returned today and said sorry it was all a hoax because it all got to much for him.
I would forgive the guy.
A certain style of music died the day he did.
He will always be The King in my books.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top