Join for free
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 01:43 AM

Time out for the NME

The New Musical Express, a newspaper dedicated to music for the past 56 years has been given the death knell as a printed edition.
Yet another casualty of the modern age.
What a shame we have to read everything on a screen these days instead of flicking through real paper pages.
RIP NME.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 03:56 AM

Re: Time out for the NME

I used to read it avidly.Something happened in the 90's and a lot of the good writers(inc Lamacq.Maconie...) left and went to the BBC??? It went off after that.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I used to read it avidly.Something happened in the 90's and a lot of the good writers(inc Lamacq.Maconie...) left and went to the BBC??? It went off after that.
That's true mate. I think they saw it coming. After the last big indie scene in the mid-90s there didn't seem too much to write about anymore.
There are plenty of good new bands around but publications like the NME were mainly for the record buying public (including CDs) and the digital age has virtually put a stop to all that. Plus the fact that the charts are now full of dance acts and the guitar seems to be dated in the eyes of the teenager. Big shame.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 12:52 AM

I used to pile up my copies of the NME next to my American sitcom DVDs

I like to keep my Friends close and my NMEs even closer
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-03-2018, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I used to pile up my copies of the NME next to my American sitcom DVDs

I like to keep my Friends close and my NMEs even closer
I'll be buying the final edition (on paper) today just as a memento.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 04:43 AM

I was a sucker for the NME too in the 60s early 70s. Required reading along with OZ and Private Eye.

BTW my brother brought me a copy of Private Eye when he visited recently I was surprised to see it still going and how thick it was (46 pages - am sure it was only half that when I used to buy it). I haven't read much of it to be honest because I don't know a lot of the people it takes the piss out of.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 09:41 AM

A sign of the times i suppose, but inevitable in the days of instant gratification
It was good for the more adventurous bands that the others rarely covered.,

Reqd buying along with Melody Maker, Sounds, and the Record Collector.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top