Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Re: The Byrds Vs. The Kinks

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Personally, I like to buy albums these days. When I was young I bought from singles and when I like an artist I usually look around for more of their work. With an album you get to know an artist better I think and get to know some of the less well known stuff.

Edited to add
Just looked again and I can get it for £31.99 new or a second hand one for £7.99+ p&p.
Glad you found it, Aerolor. I did Google the title by the way but only found the terrible Sam Smith!

You buy albums? There's an album thread doing its bizz on this forum as we speak. Apparently ladies are banned...or you would think so anyway

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I like them both. I first saw the Kinks as the opening act if a one night stand at Dover Odeon. The top act was the Dave Clark Five - who were the first act I ever heard (over the screams)
You as well, Bruce. I notice you like Led Zepp, Stones and the Kinks etc. Have you noticed quite a popular album thread on the forun lately?
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 07:57 PM

The Troggs were another great group that are not heard much nowadays. Did you know that years ago Sir Paul McCartney was asked if you had not joined the Beatles what group would you have wanted to join and he said the Troggs.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
The Troggs were another great group that are not heard much nowadays. Did you know that years ago Sir Paul McCartney was asked if you had not joined the Beatles what group would you have wanted to join and he said the Troggs.
Were the Troggs around in 1960, Doc?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Weren’t they around in the mid 60s ...Wild Thing?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

07-04-2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Weren’t they around in the mid 60s ...Wild Thing?
Yes, but not in the early 60's when Paul McCartney formed The Beatles, and before that the Silver Beatles.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Roger that, thanks
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 08:48 PM

What's with all this either or business.They are so different it's impossible to compare.I like both.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
There was a Presley in the Troggs.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 11:31 AM

Always going to be The Kinks very underrated in the early years.Mainly because at the time there were so many new bands coming through it was hard to keep up with them all.
Wrote some great songs and I guess I have collected most of them over the years.
I reckon the thing that let the Byrds down imo was there were to many individuals with different styles. Which is probably why they had more comebacks than Rocky.
I have no doubt The Byrds were good in their own rites but The Kinks were family orientated and you could feel it when they played.Ray Davies to this day is still one of the great musicians,but thats just my opinion.

I read somewhere sometime ago that The Kinks were "An accurate and eloquent social group of English History".

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 02:27 AM

I saw Ray in Cardiff in 2002 and when he played Waterloo Sunset it brought the house down.Well, it would have if we weren't outside.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top