Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 04:22 PM

The Tina Turner Musical

I never go to "musicals", theatre, film or otherwise, but I'm tempted by this one:

https://tinathemusical.com/

Maybe there’s no other way to tell it but, almost minute for minute, the show beat matches the 1993 Turner biopic What’s Love Got to Do With It. There’s the opening scene in which a young, unruly Tina – or Anna Mae as she was back then – ad libs at her gospel choir in the desolate backwater of Nutbush, Tennessee; the scene where her mother leaves; where she first sings for Ike Turner; the abuse, the divorce and the solo career.

But whereas the film slows down and digs into its story, this musical never relents. It plays out in one very long montage, with no time to settle, hopping from one chapter to another. What gives this the edge over the film are, of course, the musical interludes every few minutes: River Deep – Mountain High, Let’s Stay Together, Private Dancer, Better Be Good to Me, Nutbush City Limits, Proud Mary. It’s irresistible. Everything is just so perfect and glossy, from the choreography to the beautiful costumes to the huge group of performers at the top of their, or anyone else’s, game.

Exquisitely cast in the role is Warren in her West End debut: she has the perfect poise and the high-heeled stagger, the straight back and the slightly-inward-pointing knees. She has the huge smile and ferocious charm. She has that impossible velocity when she dances, recreating iconic moves and routines with absolute ease. She has the slight rasp at the edge of her voice, which can draw down into quietness and tenderness or open wide into pure, belting power.

She’s more than mimicry and more than tribute. She’s an unbelievable embodiment of the warrior woman herself, as if she’s been possessed. And, without any doubt, she is the hardest-working woman on the West End stage. How she doesn’t collapse with exhaustion before the curtain is a miracle.
https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2...heatre-london/

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 04:55 PM

Re: The Tina Turner Musical

Sounds great Omah. I have always been a bit of a Turner Fan myself.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 06:57 PM

oh I am a real musical theatre buff, I'll come with ya!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 07:02 PM

I love her .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 06:36 AM

Not my scene.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 07:15 AM

Hope it tours I would love to see it.

Sounds great Omar
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 08:09 AM

My friend from the bleak north came down about 10 days ago and saw the show she said it was a fantastic show.
Davidturner
New Member!
London
Davidturner is male 

14-07-2018, 04:12 PM

I have 2 tickets for the 15 September 7:30pm showing seats Dress circle H23 and H24 for sale.

Unfortunately I can't go anymore so I'm looking for anyone who might want them instead and I don't want a ticket resale website to be cutting a cut out of what someone might really enjoy.

Please contact me if you would be interested in buying them.

David
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Davidturner ->
I have 2 tickets for the 15 September 7:30pm showing seats Dress circle H23 and H24 for sale.

Unfortunately I can't go anymore so I'm looking for anyone who might want them instead and I don't want a ticket resale website to be cutting a cut out of what someone might really enjoy.

Please contact me if you would be interested in buying them.

David
I'd have bought them David but I'm away in Spain!! Good luck with selling them, I'm sure someone will snap them up, shame you cant go now
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 09:30 PM

I have seen Tina Turner live and close up at a private concert.
She is fabulous .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top