Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 06:43 PM

New filling for sofa cushions

My sofa could do with a bit of an overhaul.
I think it needs new foam in the cushions. Is there a particular foam that's best? I need a firm foam rather than something that will squash down to nothing when you sit on it.
Has anyone any knowledge about this please?
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 06:53 PM

Re: New filling for sofa cushions

Cushions cut to size frequently have a sandwich if differing densities from firm surrounded on top with soft. Check with a local uphosterer.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 06:55 PM

The company in this link can provide foam in varying densities (medium is recommended, I think) and it can be wrapped and cut exactly to size for your cushions. I am thinking I will order some for my settee (but not yet completely decided whether to buy a new settee or not).

https://www.gbfoamdirect.co.uk/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 11:28 PM

I had some new cushions for my sofa from Foam Direct, they were very expensive and too firm really so choose with care to avoid an expensive mistake (I still use them though couldn't afford to throw them away ) .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 07:37 AM

I got my sofa from Laura Ashley and the filling is too soft I'm forever fluffing it up...so beware too soft too. Go for medium as has been suggested.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I had some new cushions for my sofa from Foam Direct, they were very expensive and too firm really so choose with care to avoid an expensive mistake (I still use them though couldn't afford to throw them away ) .
Yes Meg, I have heard some are too firm. I am really hankering after a new sofa and will probably wait until I have saved a bit and can buy the sofa and a couple of armchairs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Yes Meg, I have heard some are too firm. I am really hankering after a new sofa and will probably wait until I have saved a bit and can buy the sofa and a couple of armchairs.
Aerolor the ones I purchased have no 'give' in them at all, if doing it again I would request a sample of foam.

The cushions I really wanted involving sending the old cushions away rather than just measurements and that was fiddly and even more expensive.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Ive had another look at this sofa and I'm not sure but it looks as if the springs that go from front to back have actually gone flat with wear and tear. This two seater sofa was given to me last week and maybe it looked ok but its well worn out.
I took an old firm cushion from a comfy armchair and tried it in place of the existing cushion and to be honest it wasnt much better. The only way its comfortable is by putting the armchair cushion on top of the existing cushion.

Maybe I should just look out in the Bhf furniture shop for a decent sofa or a couple of armchairs.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

21-05-2018, 02:46 PM

You could try putting something firm on top of the springs Monday's Child, but quite often everything to try and make it better is just a temporary fix and not very satisfactory for very long. Once the springs have started to go, I think it is worth thinking about another sofa and chuck the old one out. We have a local "things for sale" site in our area and it is surprising what bargains there are - including settees. Perhaps there is one in your area to look through.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-05-2018, 02:50 PM

MC have you looked on your local 'Gumtree ' they have some good bargains on there and you could ask to go and look before buying .
You would have to get it delivered , I found these people good...
https://www.anyvan.com/

I purchased a hand made solid pine dining table on eBay and they bought it down to Worcestershire for a reasonable price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top