Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:31 AM

Garden Snails

An amusing little snippet I found today about snails.

Apparently nearly all garden snails have thier shell 'coils' turning right, or spiralling in a clockwise direction.

Very rarely you may come across a snail with an anticlockwise shell - a 'lefty'.
These such smails can only mate with others with the same condition, because their genitals are in the wrong place!

What would you do without me ey?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:56 AM

Re: Garden Snails

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Apparently nearly all garden snails have thier shell 'coils' turning right, or spiralling in a clockwise direction.

Very rarely you may come across a snail with an anticlockwise shell - a 'lefty'.
These such smails can only mate with others with the same condition, because their genitals are in the wrong place!

Wouldn't the direction of the "coil" depend on which side you viewed the snail from?

(Not that I know anything about snails except my ducks used to love them and they make a very satisfying crunch when you tread on them)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Turn you around of course.

Interesting though, I have never noticed the direction of their shells. I will be watching now. I'm just wondering if the lefties are considered lucky, like a four leaf clover?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:28 AM

You are a mind of information Mups! I bet not a lot of people know that!

I’ll searching out the snails today to see if I can find a left swirl one
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:41 AM

She is quite mad of course and best avoided in my view.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:10 PM

Aha... curiouser and curiouser..
So when a male snail "dresses" to the left he seeks a female partner with a skewiff undercarriage!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by rhian ->
aha... Curiouser and curiouser..
So when a male snail "dresses" to the left he seeks a female partner with a skewiff undercarriage!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top