Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 07:07 AM

What a night... thanks to the hot weather!

It was so hot last night and I was concerned that my cats hadn't eaten for most of the day, two of them won't drink water so I was afraid of dehydration too! I opened windows, closed curtains and had electric fans all over the house, but at 7pm it wasn't helping much!

One cat has asthma, & I needed to keep an eye on him, so I sat on my bed with him and put TV on. Within minutes I was falling asleep, and even I don't go to bed that early, so I checked by blood sugars. I hadn't been in the mood for eating, with the weather so, as my blood sugar was unexpectedly low...2.6 instead of 5 urgent action was needed

I reached for the glucose that I normally keep by my bed and found the tube was empty, so I tried to open a Lucozade bottle! My broken wrist is still not working at full capacity & the other one isn't much better, so I couldn't open the bottle.

Having once fallen through a perspex door, when my blood sugars were low, I knew that walking downstairs would be dangerous.... but I needed sugar so I had to! I took it very slowly and, thank heavens, I reached the kitchen safely. I took some glucose, sat down for a while, and by then it was cooling a little so I switched off all the fans downstairs & fed the cats.

By 8.30 I was back in bed, my sugars were back to 6.2 so I watched a little TV, had my night time insulin jab & called my sister to ask if she could call me early this morning to make sure I was Ok.

After all that drama, my adrenaline was flowing so I couldn't go to sleep However I am alive and well this morning.... so you will all have to continue putting up with me!

Are the rest of you managing to sleep well in this weather, or do you all look like a zombie, as I do?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 07:21 AM

Re: What a night... thanks to the hot weather!

To add to your laughter, as I was typing this, my youngest cat became very alert and rushed into the kitchen. I followed her, thinking that one of them had brought a creature in, but no. When I got there I found a huge frog ( the size of my palm) on my kitchen floor, who seemed to have gained entrance to the house through the open back door!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 07:32 AM

All the things life throws at us, including frogs ! Pleased you are ok Twink, it must be of concern in such circumstances.

Sleep is on the back boiler atm, no air flow in my room and waking at about 4am (5am) this morning as due a) the heat b) to living on a main road and very noisy when windows are open.
Every twist and turn causes to break out in a sweat. Might just fill a bath tub and sit in there all day. Can't think of anything else to do in this heat.

Hoping your cat is better.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

09-07-2018, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
All the things life throws at us, including frogs ! Pleased you are ok Twink, it must be of concern in such circumstances.

Sleep is on the back boiler atm, no air flow in my room and waking at about 4am (5am) this morning as due a) the heat b) to living on a main road and very noisy when windows are open.
Every twist and turn causes to break out in a sweat. Might just fill a bath tub and sit in there all day. Can't think of anything else to do in this heat.

Hoping your cat is better.
Thanks PD, Rudi the cat looks a lot better than I do this morning & he demanded breakfast at 4.30am. I can cope with diabetic Hypos, but when it is hot i need to remember that it isn't just heat that makes me tired!

Everybody I speak to is saying " I have had enough of this hot weather now"
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 08:05 AM

I was that frog, came to rescue you. Allthat was needed was a kiss, and you could have had the Twinky bar i had in my pocket.

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

09-07-2018, 08:46 AM

Oooh Nom, and from that photo you look so handsome!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 08:51 AM

I.m so lucky that I can cope well with heat. I don't have a problem sleeping. I.m loving it but I know many aren't.

Glad you are alive twinky, make sure you drink plenty too!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:01 AM

I’m glad you’re ok this morning Twink ... and Rudi.

I find I am waking every hour, just can’t sleep in this heat.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

09-07-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I.m so lucky that I can cope well with heat. I don't have a problem sleeping. I.m loving it but I know many aren't.

Glad you are alive twinky, make sure you drink plenty too!
That is half the problem Lion Queen, I drink plenty of water, to hydrate me, so need to go to the loo... probably soon after I have fallen asleep!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:17 AM

I'm glad you're alright Twink.

I don't cope well with it. It's beginning to make me seriously depressed!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top