Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 01:22 PM

Subtitles

Nowadays, I feel the need, because of slight hearing problems, and a touch of tinnitus, to resort to subtitles on TV programmes, that are not live. Apart from the usual spelling mistakes, the biggest problem is the subtitles keeping up with the speech.You get periods where there is nothing, then a quick flash of a group of titles that one can't read. Very slapdash and annoying. Not such a problem on bought DVD's, or certain BBC shows.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 01:33 PM

Re: Subtitles

We use them sometimes, purely if the speech is fast. You are right, they are always behind what is being said.
Very annoying.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:14 PM

I find the ones that are provided with foreign language films to be superb (at least with Netflix).

Luckily, I don't need them for anything else.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:41 PM

I downloaded Keeping Faith and because there are no subtitles struggled to understand most of the dialogue!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Subtitles have been a brilliant addition to media. I remember my grandparents blasting the volume on their television sets...

At times, I would turn on subtitles and mute the sound to help my kids learn how to read (and afford me some peace for the more irritating programming ).

Sometimes we need subtitles on this forum....

Ooops, cancel that. I just sometimes misplace my reading glasses...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I downloaded Keeping Faith and because there are no subtitles struggled to understand most of the dialogue!
That's strange Jazzi, I watched Keeping Faith and the subtitles were fine.
I've given up attempting to follow any drama without them.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:52 PM

We find subtitles irritating as we don't require them at present, even me with my hearing problem in my left ear.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 04:43 PM

I dont actually need subtitles, but do use them all of the time, simply because I live in a semi-detached bungalow and have no wish to annoy the neighbours with my TV. By using the text, I can keep the volume really low.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
That's strange Jazzi, I watched Keeping Faith and the subtitles were fine.
I've given up attempting to follow any drama without them.
Downloaded shows on Sky Catch Up don’t have subtitles. Unless I need to find some settings somewhere.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 05:03 PM

We have them on all the time and hardly notice them now. Mrs LD has a slight hearing problem and it saves us having the TV too loud.

As for live subtitles, they are very annoying because they are always so far behind and I often wonder if those that really need them are aware of all the mistakes. It must be difficult sometimes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top