Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Oscar Pistorius

In our house we have had lots of discussion about Oscar, his disability and his prostheses and his competing in ... well what?

We haven't come to any conclusion, though I have to say that I tend to say he is a paralympian, not an olympian - his prostheses are just de trop, and if he is permitted, then what is to stop others who do not have a disability having implants etc (and some sports people really would stop at nothing to get that medal as we know with drug use etc)

However - where does that stop? Would you ban an archer who had undergone laser eye surgery? Would you prohibit the use of spectacles or contact lenses? They too are artificial aids.

I also have a niggling feeling that he would devalue paralympic sport by competing in the regular and para games.

I hope we might be able to have a thoughtful discussion without any allegations of 'isms' - I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has been able to come up with an appropriate 'line' between the genres.

Good luck to Oscar, wherever he runs; he's certainly a role model for everyone, with or without feet.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Re: Oscar Pistorius

I don't know really it is a difficult one because Oscar has had the prostheses since being a baby so under those circumstances I would say they are as much a part of him as normal legs are to anyone else, but at the same time his legs are artificial and I would class him as a paralympian.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

25-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Re: Oscar Pistorius

Hi Hilary, I regret to say that I have only just seen this thread.
I did enjoy reading your extremely good post on a very interesting subject.

I think as advances in 'mobility aids'-for want of a better expression -take place we will see an already fine line between the so called able bodied olympic athlete and the paralympian become more indistinct.

I have noticed for some time that within the paralympic movement many rows have broken out as to how exactly class each competitors degree of disability within just one disclipine.
A certain amount of alleged cheating has surfaced as competition intensified.

With the very talented and determined Oscar, I would suggest that he might consider sticking to one or the other as I don't think both is a good thing.
But that is just an opinion.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top