Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Re: Archery

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Graham said :---That aside, can I look forward to seeing you at Rio in four years time??

Well I would be 78 then, anyway I don't like the hot sun, and I can't speak Portuguese
You're never too old to learn. Besides, an arrow in the 10 ring means the same in any language.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Our son took up archery about two years ago, he loves it and pops in to his club after work, as many times a week as his wife will allow
He is now doing a bit of teaching, which he loves too.
I've tried using his bow but it is far too heavy for me but with his help (taking the weight) I did manage to fire an arrow.
I'm glad you enjoyed it Arthur - going to be expensive for the family this Christmas
It's a very expensive sport - some carbon fibre arrow shafts cost over £200 for a dozen
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2012, 09:32 AM

It came to me last night, that our school was built on a Butt's, which was a name for an old archery range from ancient times. [Butt being a word that means project forward.]
The school badge was a shield with 3 targets and arrows speeding towards them.
Our school song was:----

"When the bugle has blown and the arrow has flown

To the sound of the singing strings, where our forefathers drew

On the bow stave of yew To thee, oh our school do we sing

Our hearts shall be the drawing arm that plucks the shaft to head

The stave shall be the purpose calm that makes the shaft well sped

The strings shall be the happiness that in our hearts shall rule

The aim shall be the honour, yes, the honour of our school."
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 09:56 AM

I have found an 8 week course of archery, I start at 12 noon today, looking forward to it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 11:15 AM

Enjoy.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

18-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Brilliant enjoyed every minute, now looking for my own equipment, so I am going to sell my brand new bike, that has never been on the road, only one ride on the pavement.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Glad you enjoyed it Arthur.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

18-08-2012, 11:48 PM

Arthur, find out if your local club hires out the equipment first.
I have been informed that your pull will change after a few weeks regular practice, so you will be pulling more. Then after a few months, buy your own equipment.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

18-08-2012, 11:49 PM

btw, forgot to say, glad you enjoyed yourself
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

19-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Arthur, find out if your local club hires out the equipment first.
I have been informed that your pull will change after a few weeks regular practice, so you will be pulling more. Then after a few months, buy your own equipment.
You are spot on Jan, the more you do the more the muscle tones up, hence you want a stronger bow.
But also a new bow loses its strength because of constant use, that is why they use what the call a recurve bow, this bow you change the top and bottom joint of the bow, at a cost of about £100 a time.
It is not a cheap hobby!
Does anybody want to buy a brand new bike. never been on the road, only one ride on the pavement.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top