Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 12:34 PM

Re: Advise please on self testing blood glucose.

Very true JBR.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Can i suggest two books to dig out, Diabetes for Dummies, and Blood Pressure for Dummies.
Both provide easy to read and understand advice for both conditions important to a T2 diabetic of which i am one, usually quite cheap on Amazon.

Dont be afraid to ask questions of those who treat you.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Hi thanks all again for all your helpful advice, I am going to act on it all and have an appointment on Tuesday with the diabetic nurse.
Suddenly my results have come down plus my eyesight has improved.

Hi Susie, here is my diary for 1 day as you asked for,

Before breakfast 9.3
Breakfast 2 slices toasted hovis with reduced sugar marmalade.
2 hours after breakfast 11.8
Before lunch 9.8
Lunch 7 fishsticks seafood dip. Hovis ham sandwich. 1 small egg custard tart. Sorry but I failed just this once.
2 hours after lunch 11.8
Before evening meal 7.0
3 chicken thighs, lettuce and mayo, handful fresh raspberries.
2 hours after meal 9.5
My test results over the past couple of days have definitely lowered from the 16.0 and 13.5 I was getting without me making any further changes.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 08:12 AM

Hi MC, that sounds pretty good to me. You're not having much of a main meal though, no vegetables? No snacks in the evening?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi MC, that sounds pretty good to me.
Yes, a distinct improvement.

You are on oral medication only, but it may prove necessary to inject insulin. That is my experience anyway.

I began with (oral) Glibenclamide and Metformin, but these (and diet) were proving insufficient and later on the Glibenclamide was dropped and replaced by Insulin.

I have had various changes imposed over the years in an attempt to improve my readings. More recently, the experts suggested I inject rapid-acting insulin three times a day (before meals) and slow-acting insulin before bed. That's four injections a day!

I became fed up with the inconvenience, although the injections themselves didn't bother me, and I insisted that I deliver the same quantity of insulin in a single injection of slow-acting before breakfast.

Reverting to a single injection per day has proved equally as effective; in fact, my readings are slightly better.

So do not be afraid to make your own decisions. Yes, by all means listen to what the experts tell you: they have the knowledge. But equally it's your body not theirs, and if you feel happier to try an alternative, tell them.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Hi Susie,
no I've not been snacking but understand after going on the website you gave me that suggested doing that.
I usually would have veggies but that evening I was just so tired.

Hi jbr,
yes I've got this feeling in my bones that I'm going to be put on injecting but 5 times a day horrifies me
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Hi Susie,
no I've not been snacking but understand after going on the website you gave me that suggested doing that.
I usually would have veggies but that evening I was just so tired.

Hi jbr,
yes I've got this feeling in my bones that I'm going to be put on injecting but 5 times a day horrifies me
Who said it would be five times a day?

I started on insulin injecting once a day at bed time, until a visiting expert (from a drug company!) advised the addition of rapid-acting insulin before every meal.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

25-06-2017, 03:12 PM

MC the highest they would put you on is 4 a day, i'm on 3 a day, mine is fast acting, but I use a very high amount of Insulin during the day, and mine is Pigs Insulin. Normally its Pigs or Human Insulin.

The snacks in the evening all depends on what your sugar levels are about 8pm, if your sugar levels are say 8 or 9 then don't bother to have anything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
MC the highest they would put you on is 4 a day, i'm on 3 a day, mine is fast acting, but I use a very high amount of Insulin during the day, and mine is Pigs Insulin. Normally its Pigs or Human Insulin.
I didn't know they still use pig's insulin. I thought it was all synthetic these days.

Why? What is the advantage of pig's insulin?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

25-06-2017, 07:11 PM

I really don't know JBR, they do say that Pig's Insulin works better then Human, but i'm still on Pig's maybe because I've been on it a long time and have not changed my Insulin.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top