Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 11:19 AM

Laptop overheating?

Hi,
I find that my laptop frequently starts up its fans and blows out hot air from the vents. This continues for quite some time. I opened Task Manager to see which functions were using the most memory:

MBAM (Malwarebytes) = 211,272 K
Chrome (several entries) = 196,792 K

Also, examining 'Speed Fan', all four cores are running at a temperature of 60 and 80 C.

Nothing else is open, at least on my screen. Perhaps something is causing this continuous use of resources.

If I close Chrome, the situation continues. If I open Malwarebytes, the message states that the scan is completed.

I am at a loss to explain why so much energy is being expended by my computer when I am not really doing anything!

My main concern is that something is working overtime for no apparent reason and the life of some components may be being compromised.

Could anyone please offer any suggestions?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Re: Laptop overheating?

Is it on a soft surface? Best used on a hard one dust inside?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 11:45 AM

JB my old Dell laptop used to get very hot and I bought a cooling pad from Amazon which seemed to work very well.

It was similar to this ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laptop-Cool...0BMDVT18Z25PMG

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KLIM-coolin...ing+pad+laptop
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 12:04 PM

Thank you both.

The laptop sits on a hard surface, so there is no lack of space for air circulation.

There may, of course, be dust inside.

What makes this more intriguing is that the fans and hot air begins soon after having switched the thing on. I would have thought that it would take some time for the heat to build up, whatever the cause.

Another thing that complicates matters is that now, after having been using the laptop for a little over an hour, the temperatures recorded by SpeedFan have reduced substantially to between 40 and 50 C.

The fans are still running, but more slowly and the air being expelled is much less not.

I am still using Chrome and have not opened any other programme.

However, I think I may have identified the culprit! Malwarebytes now seems to have stopped running, according to Task Manager, which would point the finger at that programme.

I must assume that this programme automatically runs some sort of scan when the computer starts up, but the heavy use of memory seems to continue (see my first post) even after the scan is complete.

Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Cat hairs?
Greenhorn
England
Greenhorn is male  Greenhorn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 12:10 PM

My laptop doesn't overeat, but it's owner does!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-04-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Cat hairs?
My cats wouldn't dare.

What they do, though, is to climb on to the keyboard when I'm not there (well, I suppose it's warm) and add some illegible words to whatever I was typing.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-04-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Greenhorn ->
My laptop doesn't overeat, but it's owner does!
Over heat or over eat?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My cats wouldn't dare.

What they do, though, is to climb on to the keyboard when I'm not there (well, I suppose it's warm) and add some illegible words to whatever I was typing.
Yes I get that too.

Seriously though, I have had cat hairs in my laptop, previous pc and my blu ray player.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes I get that too.

Seriously though, I have had cat hairs in my laptop, previous pc and my blu ray player.
Kill the cat!

No, you know I didn't mean that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top