Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 09:58 PM

Re: New laptop transferring stuff.

Don't know the situation with Win 10 but MS used to provide a program to transfer all your old settings to a new machine. May be worth a look at the MS website.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Don't know the situation with Win 10 but MS used to provide a program to transfer all your old settings to a new machine. May be worth a look at the MS website.
It seems that Windows Easy Transfer was discontinued in Windows 10. Microsoft partnered with Laplink to provide a free version of PCmover Express as an alternative, for a limited time. End users also had the ability to upgrade to PCmover Professional (a paid version) which allows the transfer of applications as well.

However, Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to provide a special offer – save 50% off the standard price of £20.95. PCmover Express transfers selected files, folders, and more to the new Windows 10 PC.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...sfer-your-data

Note: PCmover Express DOES NOT transfer applications.

Instead of repurchasing and manually reinstalling the programs from your old PC, use PCmover Professional. Transfer the selected selected files, folders, and applications to your new PC, installed and ready to use.

Save 25% - £31.95
http://pcmover-10.laplink.com/index.html#pro

There are other Windows 10 migration products available.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 10:08 AM

I've never used extra software to transfer files, passwords and bookmarks. Files can be transferred by copying them onto an external USB disk or thumb drive, plugging it into the new computer and transferring files from there to the appropriate place on the new computer's C: drive.

Bookmarks can be exported as an HTML file by the browser on the old computer, transferred to the external USB drive and then imported straight from the drive into the browser on the new computer. All browsers have an export/import tool for this purpose.

This is what I've always done when reinstalling or passing files and bookmarks from one computer to another.

It depends how passwords are stored but these might be more of a problem. There are utilities and solutions to be found on the Internet for most browsers but it might be easier to just type passwords in again. There are varying opinions on how to handle passwords.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Hi

After reading all this I am going to pay someone to do it.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Don't know if this will help.

But about 4 years ago brought a new comp.

First thing that came up when I started the new comp for the first time it gave me an opition to transfer all my files from my old Comp.

Had to buy a connection lead which cost about a Tenner.

But it worked transfer all my passwords and my favorites.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 01:30 PM

What exactly do you need to transfer ?

I use LastPass to save my passwords, its an addon to Firefox.
If you install it on the other laptop it knows all your passwords in the app and so you can replace all your bookmarks as you.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 06:10 PM

Hi

New laptop has arrived.

It gave me the option of logging in on Chrome.

My passwords on Chrome have been saved and transferred across.

A real help.

Can't figure out the rest of the stuff yet though and the man who can is away this weekend.

It is a Touchscreen Laptop, so really easy to use.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 03:41 PM

I had a touchscreen Lenovo but found it too heavy and unwieldy. That was my last Windows computer and I only kept it around 2 months, just couldn't get on with it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 04:10 PM

You do back up your files don't you?

Just copy the back up to your new computer. If you have used Windows' default libraries then it should be the proverbial piece of piss.

No need to back up programs just the files they create, easy enough to reinstall programs (though it might be an idea to make a list of all that you need to instal)

Personally, over the years I have a file/folder system that suits me and I merely reinstall the same folder layout on the new computer from the latest backup. In fact all my computers and laptops have a variant of the layout.

In practise it is laughably easy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 08:16 PM

I agree with others who have suggested using an external hard drive to transfer files.

If you don't have one, investing in an external hard drive has the additional benefit that you can use it to regularly back up your files. In fact, you can do a complete system backup.

Needless to say, the backup hard drive should be kept in a different location for the sake of security.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top