Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 08:58 PM

Extending leads

Does anyone use them ? I find them rather awkward to reign in a dog quick enough when needed i.e crossing the road/pulling after another dog /cat
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 09:00 PM

Re: Extending leads

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Does anyone use them ? I find them rather awkward to reign in a dog quick enough when needed i.e crossing the road/pulling after another dog /cat
Hi Deylon

I used an extending lead when I'm on a long dog walk such as a woodland park but just street walking and near roads I use just a short lead
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 09:12 PM

I sometimes take my neighbours dog tilly for a walk. she is a Tibetan Terrier and loves to chase things. I'm a bit nervous to let her off the lead altogether as she's not my dog and I'm scared she will just run off. Like you I keep the lead short near roads but I let it out so she has some freedom when its safe,
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 09:41 PM

extending leads should not be extending whilst street walking. You should ideally train your dog to walk to heel on a short lead. If you have a puller who you really can not get to walk to heel then use a harness

My first dog Gunnar walked to heel off lead when on the pavement , those were the days when dogs were allowed off lead. He was as good as gold

My last dog Alfie was a nightmare. Took me a year to train him on lead, then something happened, I never got to the bottom of it, but he started to jump out in front of cars ( no pavements here). I had to put him in a harness as he was just too strong for me without it.

The extending lead was used in the fields if there were sheep or cows in neighbouring fields
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 10:01 PM

I have an extending lead but because it looks flimsy no longer use it on Holly. She is now far too strong, and growing bigger. I had a fear that one day it would snap so use the Halti lead now. Gives me more control.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 10:12 PM

I use an extending lead as well as a short lead. I always use a harness. Ted is a real puller but he is ok on a short lead. He broke his old extendable lead chasing a fox. I've ended up with friction burn more than once. So now I only use it to give him a bit of variety when we can't go to the park. A harness is recommended for his breed because of the delicate trachea.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Hi Deylon

I used an extending lead when I'm on a long dog walk such as a woodland park but just street walking and near roads I use just a short lead

I agree LQ.
I am a dog lover as you probably know, but it really annoys me when people use long extending leads in the street.
We had a thread on this a while back, and I remember saying then about a labrador owner near me has their dog on at least 10 ft of lead, and thinks nothing of it toileting on people's front lawns!

There is also a chap who walks a very fast and inquisitive Spaniel in the middle of town on a very long lead. The dog is in and out of everyone's legs, way ahead of the owner.

I also don't like it when I am walking my bunch and a rather confrontational dog comes round the corner suddenly in our face, and the owner is totally unaware as he is still back round the bend!

I have a couple of extending leads, but the only time I can remember using one was when one of my bitch's had surgery, and I didn't want her trying to run and play while she was still stitched.

They can be handy things for certain situations, but I see too many people use without thought for anyone else.
I also only have the 'tape' leads, not the 'cord' ones.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top