Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Re: Wildlife Pond or Koi Pond.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Just clicked on your pics,from another thread,Longdogs, only 2 pics came up,the beautiful yellow flower and ,i believe it to be your pond with a beautiful tree and the water lilies, ..what a great time,now is,to enjoy our garden's and ponds.
The yellow plant (money musk) lasted for a good few months last year and is doing well this year. I also managed to grow six more of them from seed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Thanks for the info Missy,i understand now,i put barley straw liquid in one pond,to control the string algae, which seems to be working, ..i never get it in the other one,maybe because the sun is very dappled on that spot,..hope your pond sorts itself soon.

Thank you Longdogs,for the compliment, i will be very interested to know,if you decide to put a wildlife pond in,keep us posted.
I always think it is amazing how even just a small amount of water can transform a garden.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Herons are a nightmare.
Simple solution: a net.

We used to have heron visitations, but when they realised what a net was they stopped coming.

More recently, unfortunately, all of our fish have died. I discovered it was due to an anchorworm infestation.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:09 PM

I used to have a koi pond which I built myself, it was a raised one in the shape of..well imagine a slice of cake or pizza, that sort of shape, I used brick and block to build it, and kept about twelve koi at one point with a few goldfish, which bred profusely and I had to get rid before they took over, sadly I lost all of them in the cold winter of 2009/10, so I demolished most of it and now it’s a flower bed, I’d have another one but it’s very hard work , keeping the water clear was an ongoing problem also removing the blanketweed was a chore, a wildlife pond would make more sense as you can more or less leave it alone, missy, have you changed your uv light? as these are supposed to be changed yearly, I used to use pond pads, small square pads impregnated with barley straw extract ( or something ) I put these directly in the filter, might be worth a try if you can still get them...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:53 PM

When we completely emptied our pond a couple of weeks ago (to remove all traces of anchorworm and many years of sediment) and refilled it, the water was crystal clear.

Then Marge wanted us to get a couple of pre-filled baskets of plants. After (very gently) placing them in the pond, the water turned murky. With the pump and filter going 24/7, it is now clearing, but is distinctly green. Algae, I suppose.

That, too, is beginning to clear, but I shall order a new UV lamp. The one in use at the moment is over a year old and, apparently, they are only effective for six months.

No fish yet, and probably not until next spring. A couple of frogs, though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-05-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Simple solution: a net.

We used to have heron visitations, but when they realised what a net was they stopped coming.

More recently, unfortunately, all of our fish have died. I discovered it was due to an anchorworm infestation.
Sorry to hear that JBR, I remember you mentioning that you thought they were ill.

Yes I have put a net over the pond now. I hate the look of it but it does the job.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-05-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sorry to hear that JBR, I remember you mentioning that you thought they were ill.

Yes I have put a net over the pond now. I hate the look of it but it does the job.
We had a fine black one over ours and it was almost invisible...

in the right light!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top