Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 10:19 PM

Don’t Laugh But Why Have My Rhubarb Stalks Never Been Thicker Than A Pencil?

I have had Rhubarb in different places in my garden for years but it is so thin! This year, l have even put some in a pot and grown it in the greenhouse but it is still skinny!

When my sister and her husband see it, they collapse in laughter as it is so thin!

My soil is sandy, maybe the soil isn’t good enough?
Any advice on what l can do? Please.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 10:37 PM

Re: Don’t Laugh But Why Have My Rhubarb Stalks Never Been Thicker Than A Pencil?

Here you go Art.
Some RHS info on spindly rhubardb.

Rhubarb Problems

Flowering:
Some cultivars can be more prone than others. Remove flower stalks as soon as they appear to prevent them weakening the crowns. Flowering is usually worse after wet summers or where high nitrogen feed has been overused.

Thin, weak stalks:
Lots of thin stalks indicate the crown is losing vigour and needs to be divided (see ‘Propagation’). Increased feeding may also help.

Split stalks,
sometimes exuding sticky sap: This is sometimes caused by late frosts but is often an indication of erratic growth due to seasonal conditions. Cool or dry periods followed by moist or mild weather means the hard outer growth splits when the new, rapid growth occurs. Mulching and feeding may help to avoid the worst damage.

Green, poor quality stalks: Warm, dry summers can give rise to poorly-coloured, bad-tasting stalks. Try to harvest earlier while the days are cooler and moister.

Slow or no growth: Rhubarb will stop growing if the temperature rises above 32ºC (90ºF). This can happen in hot summers. Growth can also slow or stop if the plants are under drought stress so watering may help.

Dieback of crowns: Waterlogged soils or a very wet season can cause rotting in the crown. Lift and move to a better-drained site, or incorporate plenty of gravel to improve drainage. Discard any rotting roots. Rhubarb is also susceptible to the root disease honey fungus and a bacterial crown rot. If either is suspected lift and destroy all affected crowns and replace soil before replanting.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 11:18 PM

Re: Don’t Laugh But Why Have My Rhubarb Stalks Never Been Thicker Than A Pencil?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Here you go Art.
Some RHS info on spindly rhubardb.

Rhubarb Problems

Flowering:
Some cultivars can be more prone than others. Remove flower stalks as soon as they appear to prevent them weakening the crowns. Flowering is usually worse after wet summers or where high nitrogen feed has been overused.

Thin, weak stalks:
Lots of thin stalks indicate the crown is losing vigour and needs to be divided (see ‘Propagation’). Increased feeding may also help.

Split stalks,
sometimes exuding sticky sap: This is sometimes caused by late frosts but is often an indication of erratic growth due to seasonal conditions. Cool or dry periods followed by moist or mild weather means the hard outer growth splits when the new, rapid growth occurs. Mulching and feeding may help to avoid the worst damage.

Green, poor quality stalks: Warm, dry summers can give rise to poorly-coloured, bad-tasting stalks. Try to harvest earlier while the days are cooler and moister.

Slow or no growth: Rhubarb will stop growing if the temperature rises above 32ºC (90ºF). This can happen in hot summers. Growth can also slow or stop if the plants are under drought stress so watering may help.

Dieback of crowns: Waterlogged soils or a very wet season can cause rotting in the crown. Lift and move to a better-drained site, or incorporate plenty of gravel to improve drainage. Discard any rotting roots. Rhubarb is also susceptible to the root disease honey fungus and a bacterial crown rot. If either is suspected lift and destroy all affected crowns and replace soil before replanting.
Thank You! Mups. The Rhubarb has been in the same place for over ten years and it’s always had thin stalks!!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 11:38 PM

There you go Arty, Mups is right on the ball here.
I must tell you tho, I used to have thin stalks as well and I thought they were much more tender than the thicker ones.
But I guess if you are cooking them, it doesn't matter.

I love eating Rhubard raw with some salt.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thank You! Mups. The Rhubarb has been in the same place for over ten years and it’s always had thin stalks!!

Don't know then Art. Wopuldn't do any harm to divide it, feed it, and experiment perhaps?
Can't think of much else.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2018, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Don't know then Art. Wopuldn't do any harm to divide it, feed it, and experiment perhaps?
Can't think of much else.
Mups. Feed with what? I have Tomerite which can be used to feed lots of things. Would that be any good?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 12:07 AM

Art rhubarb is a greedy plant and likes rich soil with some good farmyard manure .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-05-2018, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Art rhubarb is a greedy plant and likes rich soil with some good farmyard manure .

I agree with Meg.
I wouldn't think Tomorite is the right thing at all Art, sorry.

If rhubarb is grown in tubs, they say you use an equally balanced 'All purpose' food.

They also need plenty of sun, so no good planting them in a shady patch.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 07:54 AM

My Dad used to put horse manure on his.

I preferred custard myself

Seriously though, he used to mix well rotted horse poo with water from the water butt and water it in. And he would divide the crown regularly.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
My Dad used to put horse manure on his.

I preferred custard myself

Seriously though, he used to mix well rotted horse poo with water from the water butt and water it in. And he would divide the crown regularly.
hahaha, custard is much better isn't it......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top