Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 03:14 PM

Unexpected rescue.

Whilst doing a routine inspection of my water/sewage manhole, I was most severely surprised to find a hedgehog down there.

We are the "end of the line," and none of our gutters or drains run into it, so the poor thing must have somehow fallen in and crawled upstream.

Getting it out was not an easy job. At the first attempt it decided to crawl along the pipe and disappeared from view. I closed the lid and left it there for a quarter of an hour, and thankfully it had somehow turned round and come back to the inspection chamber.
I quickly shoved three planks down to block it's exits, donned the oldest clothes I could find plus wellies, and an old pair of marigolds.

Down I went. I am not a big bloke, but there was not enough room to bend down, and it was too deep to reach from the top. There was not even enough room to swing a gerbil, let alone a cat, so I had to sort of straddle the inverts and reach down between my legs.
I managed to grab a few spikes and lift it up enough to get my other hand underneath and get it back onto dry land.

After a couple of minutes it uncurled and started to wander the garden. It was in a very bedraggled state so I moved it under a bush and left a dish of water.

After that it was clothes in the bin, nip inside for a quick shower, and then out again to catch a train with ten minutes to spare. *phew*

I've not seen it since we've been back, but I'll keep a look out later, especially after it starts to get dark.

I hope the poor thing survives, but at least it has a better chance now it is no longer plumbing the depths of Somerset's sewer system.
All I can say it is it not the start to my day that I had expected.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 03:26 PM

Re: Unexpected rescue.

Well done you! It may be hungry, so you could put some cat, or dog food out. If it disappears the the chances are that it has survived.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 03:28 PM

How wonderful that you managed to rescue the poor creature, Fruitcake. I hope it will reward you by staying and keeping your garden slug free. You could encourage it with a des/res:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...d-297088844816
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 03:56 PM

I'm glad you rescued him Fruitcake, that was very kind of you.

As Twink say, you should have put some food out for it.

Let's hope he survives.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Well done That man, our poor old hedgehogs have quiet a struggle to survive nice job.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Poor hedgehog. I love those little creatures.

Very well done Fruitcake.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Hi

Great things hedgehogs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:37 PM

Poor thing good job you found it FC...
I used to live in a house with a cattle grid and hedgehogs were always falling in. I think they build ramps in cattle grids these days
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:41 PM

Well done Fruitcake. That was very noble, not everyone would have done that.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Top man Fruitcake well done you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top