Join for free
Page 7 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Re: Home Gardens

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thank Mups I empty all my annuals pots and tubs when they have finished flowering after the summer and start anew with fresh compost in clean pots in the Spring. All the old compost I dig into the garden as long as it doesn't have lots of roots or bugs in it

Thanks Mags.
I have always done the same but I confess this year I have skimped on some pots - perhaps not a good idea.
I realise some things can't be planted in the same place on consecutive years, so I have filled those tubs with all fresh compost.

A chap at the garden centre said to me you don't keep replacing the soil in your flower beds every year, so why pots?
He said to refresh it with some added compost, blend it all in and add new plant food.

My beds are so jam packed at the mo, especially with Iris which are spreading everywhere, and I don't want to bury the rhizomes by keep adding more and more spent compost.

Think the only answer will be to spread the old compost, then replant the Iris.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:55 PM

I use the old compost. Only for annuals though, not for any perennials that are going into pots.

I usually half fill with old compost (check for bugs first!), stir in some slow release granulated feed then top off with new compost.

Can't spread my old stuff in the beds as they're already too high.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Mags.
I have always done the same but I confess this year I have skimped on some pots - perhaps not a good idea.
I realise some things can't be planted in the same place on consecutive years, so I have filled those tubs with all fresh compost.

A chap at the garden centre said to me you don't keep replacing the soil in your flower beds every year, so why pots?
He said to refresh it with some added compost, blend it all in and add new plant food.

My beds are so jam packed at the mo, especially with Iris which are spreading everywhere, and I don't want to bury the rhizomes by keep adding more and more spent compost.

Think the only answer will be to spread the old compost, then replant the Iris.
I might just try that myself Mups, what you say makes sense. I suppose it's a case of old habits die hard
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Lovely pics Pauline but I can't see it the hedgehog house .

Here is the most respectable part of my garden.
The pig needs attention.

That part of your garden,is beautiful, I'm loving that pig,I can never find anything like that,in garden centres, I dont like ordering online,poppies are lovely, one of my fav flower,mine are only just coming out,..the hedgehog house is well camouflaged, with artificial grass,..nothing hybernated in it as of yet,i keep an eye on the floor,for tell tale signs,..i think they prefer being under a pile of leaves,what do you think?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I use the old compost. Only for annuals though, not for any perennials that are going into pots.

I usually half fill with old compost (check for bugs first!), stir in some slow release granulated feed then top off with new compost.

Ditto,i do the same.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

28-05-2018, 10:22 AM

Beautiful bedding plants,Mags,i love a garden packed with colour,...stiil waiting to see Summers garden,..you said you would post a pic,once the rain had stopped,lol,lol.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 10:30 AM

This is my garden. It's looking a bit naked at the moment as I've hacked a lot of things back because they had got out of control.

And this is the front garden....

I love them! That's my kind of garden. A little crammed. A little quirky where you never know what you're going to find around the next bush.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 10:31 AM

I have the opposite problem especially in my raised beds
The soil is getting less?
They get lower despite the fact i top it up.
Where does it all go to?
I used all my old tomatoes bags this year with the result that I have little tomato plants EVERYWHERE.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Compost? What's that?
I can't remember when I last bought any. After the initial filling and siting I just use the same old stuff and rely on Miracle-Gro.
I shall miss my garden. With selling up this year this is the first time for 30 years I aren't bothering with summer flowers. It's feels weird.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Compost? What's that?
I can't remember when I last bought any. After the initial filling and siting I just use the same old stuff and rely on Miracle-Gro.
I shall miss my garden. With selling up this year this is the first time for 30 years I aren't bothering with summer flowers. It's feels weird.
Sorry, I'm late to the party here. Where are you going and will you have any kind of garden when you get there?

Page 7 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top