Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 08:27 AM

Hedgehogs ,Snails and Slugs.

I had 2 visit my garden last year,do you get them?..i even put a hedgehog
box in garden,for them to sleep/hybernate, ..i have just found evidence, (poo) that one was in last night,..i stopped using slug pellets last year and will never use them again,of course in certain cases,you have no choice to use them,or something to keep the snails from eating the vegetable patch,what do you use,to stop slugs eating your new veg shoots?....i went out one evening, and found 4 tiny slugs,literally hanging from one of my petunias,.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 09:55 AM

Re: Hedgehogs ,Snails and Slugs.

I throw the slugs over my neighbours garden .
He has no plants only lawn .
Inevitably they will come back but I dont use slug pellets as I have a dog .
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I throw the slugs over my neighbours garden .
He has no plants only lawn .
Inevitably they will come back but I dont use slug pellets as I have a dog .
Funny you should say that. The other day I was having my lunch in the garden when suddenly there was this clunk noise and when I looked around there was a snail shell upside down and spining round a few steps away by a plastic bucket. I know my next door neighbour was out gardening as I could hear her talking to her friend. Hmmmmm. I know I'm not popular anymore with these two women.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I had 2 visit my garden last year,do you get them?..i even put a hedgehog
box in garden,for them to sleep/hybernate, ..i have just found evidence, (poo) that one was in last night,..i stopped using slug pellets last year and will never use them again,of course in certain cases,you have no choice to use them,or something to keep the snails from eating the vegetable patch,what do you use,to stop slugs eating your new veg shoots?....i went out one evening, and found 4 tiny slugs,literally hanging from one of my petunias,.
I know the hedgehogs are about I've seen their droppings,I don't use slug pellets our garden is clay so they thrive,if the plants not resistant to them we don't grow the.Geums seem ok they are out in flower.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:14 PM

What you can do to protect your plants is to put some crushed sea shells around the base of them. People say use egg shells that you bake in the oven to get hard first but the best I ever found was bags of crushed sea shells

They are razor sharp to slugs but harmless to wildlife

I have a feeling I bought them from an agriculture or flower show or maybe a shop by the coast. They saved my hostas that's for sure
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:19 PM

I haven't seen a hedgehog for years other than poor ones that have been run over on the roads.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 02:39 PM

I don't get hedgehogs which is surprising because I get lots of snails 100s of them. Some have really beautiful shells with really intricate markings. I can't bring myself to stamp on them like a neighbour does that crunching sound goes right through me so I throw them over a 7ft wall onto the village green, I'm sure they make it back though overnight.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 03:34 PM

I love to see hedgehogs ferreting about making the funny little noises they do.
Haven't had one in my garden for years though.

They were saying on telly last night that these little creatures have dropped in number from 30 million back in the 1950's to little over one million now. I find that very sad.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Slugs in the garden.....went to the shed in the dark something I needed and what did I step in.. a massive great odious slug..............is there anything more repulsive than a slug no no no, i'm glad the hedgehogs love em because I don't.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 03:59 PM

Lots of 'hegies' around here. I nearly stepped on one in the dark, it had curled up on my doormat and I opened the door to take Chloe for a late walk and didn't see it. Good job Chloe barked.

I have them in the garden too ,much to my horror one got caught up in the net protecting my strawberries, it was unhurt and ran off when I cut it free.

I don't like using any chemicals in my garden and collect slugs and snails in a bucket with the aid of a torch on warm summer nights. I put them down the lane for the birds to eat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top