Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 03:55 PM

Re: Groceries online?

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Do you order groceries online? I am thinking about it. I wonder if they pick out nice fresh fruit and veggies for you or do they stick you with the older ones...

I prefer to buy my groceries in person from Tesco, my supermarket of choice.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 05:32 PM

Hi, I love shopping online. There is a box under each item that you order where you can make a note. I once received bread that only had 1 day shelf life on it, so I phoned to complain and they credited me. The next week I then put into the comment box "Minimum 3-day shelf life or I will hand back to driver as will not accept stale bread" My bread has been perfect ever since. I also put "please pick the longest shelf life" on items such as Steak & Ale Pies or cakes etc.

I have lovely drivers who bring the shopping in and unpack it onto the kitchen table. They will tell me if something was unavailable or that had been substituted if I had ticked an item that I didn't mind being substituted . Also, for instance, if you ordered Birds Eye Garden Peas in 800g and it is not in stock, they will give you the next size up but you only get charged the same price as that which you ordered.

I really don't know whether home shoppers are chosen for nearest date or not, but I can't see that happening or home-shoppers would soon be up in arms!
I love home-shopping. To see all those heavy items being unpacked for me there on the kitchen table instead of the hassle of tills, cashiers, finding and paying for parking, traipsing back and forth to the car, lugging it all indoors and then having to unpack it all, no thanks! I can even choose the date/day/hour that I want it to be delivered. Sod shopping anymore, I have better things to do.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Shrops may I ask who you shop with?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi, I love shopping online. There is a box under each item that you order where you can make a note. I once received bread that only had 1 day shelf life on it, so I phoned to complain and they credited me. The next week I then put into the comment box "Minimum 3-day shelf life or I will hand back to driver as will not accept stale bread" My bread has been perfect ever since. I also put "please pick the longest shelf life" on items such as Steak & Ale Pies or cakes etc.

I have lovely drivers who bring the shopping in and unpack it onto the kitchen table. They will tell me if something was unavailable or that had been substituted if I had ticked an item that I didn't mind being substituted . Also, for instance, if you ordered Birds Eye Garden Peas in 800g and it is not in stock, they will give you the next size up but you only get charged the same price as that which you ordered.

I really don't know whether home shoppers are chosen for nearest date or not, but I can't see that happening or home-shoppers would soon be up in arms!
I love home-shopping. To see all those heavy items being unpacked for me there on the kitchen table instead of the hassle of tills, cashiers, finding and paying for parking, traipsing back and forth to the car, lugging it all indoors and then having to unpack it all, no thanks! I can even choose the date/day/hour that I want it to be delivered. Sod shopping anymore, I have better things to do.
I love the fact, that they upack it for you. You can't ask for better than that.....

And you are right, no more parking, cashiers, lugging it all indoors.

I think you got me sold..... Thanks Shrops
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 01:17 AM

shopping online - well not exactly but back in the 70's when I lived in HK my wife shopped by 'phone to a store that I think we visited once to inspect out in the mass that is Kowloon! what they did stock was all things european that we couldn't get locally. these were our 'comfort' foods but mostly of course we ate out - HK then was cheap. almost every weekend banquets. In those days no pc's just black free phones and all calls were free.

back to food online - the food ordered was delivered within 24hrs in old cardboard boxes which came in very handy. Never remember one complaint but that wasn't really my dept. talking to my son recently who was then 13/14 he could not recall the event at all and argued vehemently that it never happened - oh the folly of youth - I referred him to his mother!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 12:17 PM

Never WB. I'm like Summer, I like to see what I am buying. On-line shopping is ok if you can't get out yourself or you live in a rural area and don't drive.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Shrops may I ask who you shop with?
hI Ruthio, no problem, I vary some weeks between Tesco and Sainsbury's depending on what I want to buy, I also do home shopping every week with Iceland for some of the things that I used to buy from the main supermarkets. For example, we eat quite a lot of fish and love the Gastro range of Fish. It costs £4 a packet of 2 in the supermarkets but if you buy 2 packets in Iceland, it only costs £5. Thats a £3 saving every time. the same with my favourite Yoghurts, Ice-Creams, Orange Juice, etc.

Iceland have lots of bargains. I still only spend the same as I would at one supermarket by using Tesco/Sainsburys and Iceland. With Iceland, you have to spend a minimum of £25 to have home delivery, but if you spend £35 you get free delivery from next day.

With Tesco I have a Delivery Saver scheme in operation whereby I pay a fee of £30 for the whole year and have my delivery midweek only on any Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday at any time of the day or evening for no extra cost. If Delivery Saver not used, it can cost anything from £4, £5 or £6 for each delivery, so the £30 delivery saver for the year (you can have a 6 month one as well) is well worth paying as I would have had to spend that paying for delivery in the first 6 weeks!!

Sainsburys, I use only maybe once a month for extra special items, but choose the cheapest time of the day for £1 delivery.

I, like a lot of people, used to commute 5 days a week and then had to shop at weekends. It used to really annoy me as it became a chore. Now that I can shop whenever I want, I think.. I don't want to! I even have my fresh meat delivered from my favourite butcher shop every week after phoning the order through, but...... that is only because he happens to live several doors up from me and is a very kind young man who delivers to me on his way home once a week.(I always ensure I have the correct money ready).

So there you have it. Lazy? yep, but I don't care honestly, I spent 52 years working, raising a family and shopping til' I almost dropped. No more for me. I will never be able to thank the clever soul enough who thought up the idea of home-shopping deliveries.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-05-2018, 01:11 PM

Forgot to mention WB. If you decide to have home-delivery, don't forget to tick the box that says "No Bags" (there is a choice of two) "With Bags" will cost you an extra 40p which I wouldn't have anyway with them being plastic, but the bonus is that the drivers have to bring the groceries in to your kitchen to unpack it from the large trays. I have yet to meet a delivery driver who was not very pleasant, polite and helpful.

Good luck with the extra free time if you decide to go for it, and make sure you check the delivery note for any substitutions, although the driver will usually inform you anyway. It's entirely up to you whether you want to accept the substitution, the driver will take it back if you are not happy with the substitution and credit you every time.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top