Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Re: Broadband limit exceeded/trojan horses!

My BT usage is showing as over 4 GB used on 1st August. Apart from web browsing I downloaded 4 MP3's which were attached to emails. Their sizes total 17094 KB. Is that enough to use over 4 GB of broadband allowance?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 06:29 PM

Julie, that was interesting. How did you actually discover the piggy backing?
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I don't think a lot of BT wi-fi is password protected, I am not with them, but can connect a phone/tablet etc to the internet through a neighbours unsecure BT wi-fi.
I'm surprised at this. My Bt wi-fi is secure but any BT customer can piggyback on it but they have to use their own login. When I'm out, if my mobile can't connect to the internet I switch on wi-fi and piggyback on another BT customer.
I switched recently to BT Infinity and BT TV. That is unlimited and fast and only slightly more expensive than my old 10gig limit.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 08:22 PM

With BT infinity as Warlyron said if you are subscribed to BT then you can access the BT hotspot of another subscriber.
I can tell you that Virgin cable is faster than BT. A neighbour of mine has it and most is password protected. But they also have Wii which is open. I have told them but they are not bothered.
At times when I turn on my iPad, I find that I am connected to it. That's how I know it is faster than BT as I have done speed tests.
But I am a good boy and reconnect to my BT.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 08:26 PM

I am not subscribed to BT, I was with Orange, which is now EE, if my wi-fi is switched off the top one on my list of options is a BT unsecured connection.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 11:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I had to go out this morning and made sure my wifi was turned off from my laptop. Last night I disconnected my hub........and my phones.
I got in touch with BT today and they suggested someone had got hold of my password for my home hub. When pressed she said it had to be someone who was in my home......very unlikely!!
BUT........she took me through the procedure of changing my password. I can't believe how hard that was........her accent was SO hard to hear/translate......it was pitiful!!! Cutting a long story short, I managed to change the password on my home hub............but when it came to putting the new password into my laptop, she couldn't help me!!
Fortunately a friend was able to guide me and I am now connected, but only through an ethernet cable as I have yet to find out how to change my home hub password on my laptop connection.
It would be good to know that someone accessing my home hub connection was causing the problem, but that has yet to be confirmed. I would really like to know that some malware on my laptop or tablet isn't using all that broadband usage.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 11:17 PM

If you look at youtube, that is quite heavy usage.

Must be an unsecured router then Jimmy
Lindyloo
isle of wight

03-08-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
If you look at youtube, that is quite heavy usage.

Must be an unsecured router then Jimmy
Thanks, but since June when my usage exceeded it's limits, I haven't used utube or any video on facebook or catchup tv, or itv
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Julie, that was interesting. How did you actually discover the piggy backing?
Don't know how he did as I am not very technical but one of my nephews had a look at our logs and discovered who was logging in.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Don't know how he did as I am not very technical but one of my nephews had a look at our logs and discovered who was logging in.
Brilliant.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top