Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:43 PM

Re: Caught out at last.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's true also when people carry on about the benefit figures they seem to forget biggest number of claimants and the largest amount of money goes to OAPs !

Not a very fair statement Julie. I am a pensioner and I have never in my life had one single payment of any benefit,not even a free school dinner. When I was divorced I was a single parent family for over 4 years and still not one penny did I ever claim. Both Mr Clumsy and I have worked all our lives, paid our taxes and national insurance, never owed anything to anyone and gone without what we couldn't afford. I chose to have one child so that I could (hopefully) afford to bring him up and give him the best life I could. I studied and worked at the same time and quite frankly, yes it does make me angry that some people live a life of luxury on benefits and I can assure you that the majority of pensioners that I personally know don't get vast amounts of benefit monies. Remember we have worked and paid for our pensions, pathetic though they may be. I personally object very strongly to so much money being given to those who choose to have large familes, many of whom quite simply expect tax payers money in benefits to fund them. Family planning is not a difficult thing these days. Doing the job I did I could tell you many stories about benefit claimants that would have steam coming out of your ears.
If, for whatever reason, I had to return to live in UK I would be better off coming back as an illegal immigrant or asylum seeker than as a pensioner who has paid into the system all her life and taken nothing from it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:46 PM

If you read my next post you would see what I meant, because none of us or very few of us pay in nearly enough compared to what we take out even people who only claim their pension.

But also they do count pensions in the figures which makes it look like people on job seekers etc are costing the country a fortune when the figures are done correctly that is not the case at all.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 06:40 PM

If you read my next post you would see what I meant, because none of us or very few of us pay in nearly enough compared to what we take out even people who only claim their pension.

But also they do count pensions in the figures which makes it look like people on job seekers etc are costing the country a fortune when the figures are done correctly that is not the case at all.
When you say this, think. It is not only national insurance and earnings tax. It is the tax that we paid from purchases during ones life, add that up that will make quite a few bob. Even as pensioners, we still pay tax from our purchases including food heating, lighting, clothes, etc.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 06:53 PM

That's true also when people carry on about the benefit figures they seem to forget biggest number of claimants and the largest amount of money goes to OAPs !
I think this statement is wrong, after all many of the claimants on benefit have an alternative, they could work or even limit their families, a pensioner, on the other hand, has no choice, they're at the end of their working life - how else would they live?

There is also an enormous amount of pension credits left unclaimed each year - pride stops many folk..
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think benefit fraud is inexcusable BUT - it should be put into perspective. Compared with tax fraud and tax evasion by the rich, it is a drop in the ocean. Why don't we get so upset when the rich are defrauding us?
Exactly MickB good point!
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think benefit fraud is inexcusable BUT - it should be put into perspective. Compared with tax fraud and tax evasion by the rich, it is a drop in the ocean. Why don't we get so upset when the rich are defrauding us?
It is not that we do not get fed up, fed up knowing getting fed up with a system that is protected by Cameron and his cronies is a waste of time.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I think this statement is wrong, after all many of the claimants on benefit have an alternative, they could work or even limit their families, a pensioner, on the other hand, has no choice, they're at the end of their working life - how else would they live?

There is also an enormous amount of pension credits left unclaimed each year - pride stops many folk..
How is it wrong it's a true fact according to all sources I have read. Pensions are the largest payment out of the benefit pot by miles.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-08-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
When you say this, think. It is not only national insurance and earnings tax. It is the tax that we paid from purchases during ones life, add that up that will make quite a few bob. Even as pensioners, we still pay tax from our purchases including food heating, lighting, clothes, etc.
When you say this think the people who don't pay enough in don't have enough to buy much either so their purchases tax is way down too.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Glad to read that Cass! But who is going to take her in and support her?
She should support herself.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 09:47 PM

How is it wrong it's a true fact according to all sources I have read. Pensions are the largest payment out of the benefit pot by miles.
Because much of pensions gets recovered from taxes and was funded, unless the person is an Ex-patt.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top