Join for free
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:33 PM

Ebay server bargains

Bargain 1
1 just bought a Dell R900 server for just £110 plus £31 delivery. This server can sell for a great deal more than that. A powerful 4 processor server and each processor has 4 cores making 16 in all. Absolute bargain.

Bargain 2
Ordered an extra 8GB of ram from the US for the above server for only $23 and that includes del. Another steal.

Bargain 3
A job lot of 20 2.5" 72GB SAS 15,000 RPM hard drives for only £114 and that also includes del. This works out at under £6 per hard drive. These drives will fit the server and other servers I have.

Saved a huge amount. It sure is surprising what you can find on Ebay. I'm delighted.

Only thing is now I will have 7 servers on my hands!

Who wants to buy one?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:39 PM

Re: Ebay server bargains

Glad you found a bargain Mark my problem would be I would have no idea what to do with them and no where to keep them
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Glad you found a bargain Mark my problem would be I would have no idea what to do with them and no where to keep them
Well if you were deaf you could keep them in a room that requires heating. If you ain't deaf then the row they make would be a drawback. I've thought about gathering the heat they generate and piping it to my downstairs toilet as many have complained it is like an ice box at times. They are just computers though at the end of the day.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 03:47 PM

LOL I have often said the server room at work should be linked to the heating system and use some of the heat they generate in there.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Bargain 1
1 just bought a Dell R900 server for just £110 plus £31 delivery. This server can sell for a great deal more than that. A powerful 4 processor server and each processor has 4 cores making 16 in all. Absolute bargain.

Bargain 2
Ordered an extra 8GB of ram from the US for the above server for only $23 and that includes del. Another steal.

Bargain 3
A job lot of 20 2.5" 72GB SAS 15,000 RPM hard drives for only £114 and that also includes del. This works out at under £6 per hard drive. These drives will fit the server and other servers I have.

Saved a huge amount. It sure is surprising what you can find on Ebay. I'm delighted.

Only thing is now I will have 7 servers on my hands!

Who wants to buy one?
Let us hope customs service and tax does not add another £90 on the bill. I purchased a second hand plastic lap top back from the States and really got hit. Never did use it, stripped the reputed un-repairable laptop ,( according to the experts) , right down and repaired it fine. Not bad as I hate all things pc, don't know how to use them, and don't want to know. Taking it apart was a dustmans holiday, just bits.
Yes would like to buy a new Loomis Fly Rod from the States as half the price, the Orvis sunglasses were one fifth the price. Rip off Britain.
And my fuel sensor which fits in the car petrol tank was £125 cheaper from Fords on Ebay Italy, welcome to mug UK.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

03-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Let us hope customs service and tax does not add another £90 on the bill.
Thought I had better check on this but it appears there is no duty to pay ...

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...ils/194009369/

Thank goodness.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Thought I had better check on this but it appears there is no duty to pay ...

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...ils/194009369/

Thank goodness.
That is good then, which sort of begs the question why my piece of scratched plastic laptop back was sent via the oversea handling centre and cost a lot.
Thought about buying another camera from HongKong this weekend but was worried about getting hit by import duty, these firms are getting really devious and I need another like a hole in the head. Some are grey imports, shipped over and sold cheap from a UK address. Strange however some pc gear etc seems tax exempt from Hong-Kong. Now ruddy phone is ringing.....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Glad you got a real good bargain Mark, and I hope it serves you right. (in the way of your work of course)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top