Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Time to spend your old £1 Coins.

Hi

In the not too distant future they will not be legal tender, so have a hunt around and get them spent.

I have had to move things in my dining room following my flood and I have found a bag of 20 which I had forgotten about.

A hunt through the car produced another seven, the ones I use for Supermarket trolleys and car parking.

There are a couple I am keeping for sentimental value.

One is from a Charity fishing competition.

I was seriously disabled at the time and found myself next to the then World Champion, the luck of the draw.

An absolutely lovely man, we jokingly had a £1 on the outcome.

He spent loads of time setting me up and showing me what to do, giving me some of his rigs and constantly coming across to show me what to do and helping me out.

He spent so much time with me that I beat him on the day.

A genuinely lovely man, a day to cherish and remember.

The second one is from my estranged daughter .

Happier times when she was a young pre teen, a very scary moment in the car, almost forced off a Cliff edge by an idiot.

A printed out A4 sheet, to the best Dad in the World, a £1 coin stuck to the sheet.

A fortune to her in those times.

There is no way I am spending that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 08:09 AM

Re: Time to spend your old £1 Coins.

Why won't they be legal tender?

I would have thought those silly copper coins would be the first to go. Our lowest denomination coin is 5c (the old 6d or "zac"). 1 cent and two cent coins were abandoned years ago they cost more to produce than their face value.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 08:11 AM

They've turned them into thruppeny bits, an omen if ever there was one!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 08:14 AM

Yup, we have new £1 coins. Which means trolleys and machines now have to be adapted to take them. Again!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 08:18 AM

Perhaps they'll say to use tokens instead.
Some shops have just shoved the chain lock things in the slots so you don't have to put anything in, I noticed.
I wonder if the shops get compensation, it must cost a lot to change them over.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 09:33 AM

My local Sainsburys trolleys will take the new coin, but the carpark machines are being changed. I think they are going to charge more than 70p for two hours in the future anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 09:53 AM

The old coins will cease to be legal tender on 15th October, so Swim is right, spend them soon.
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Recently went into a shop and their trolleys would only take the old coins(notice up saying so). I had to hunt through my purse and actually found one. I am keeping that one now in a separate compartment in my purse in case I come across this anywhere else. Spent some time a couple of months ago hunting around to ensure that I had none of the old ones left.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 10:10 AM

Won't the banks still swap them after 15th October?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 10:34 AM

Here you go, Art.

The new 12-sided £1 coin launched on March 28, and now Britons are being urged to hand in their old pound coins before they cease to be legal tender from October 15.

March to September is known as the "co-circulation" period, during which both old and new £1 coins can be accepted in shops.

Any unspent £1 coins after October 15 can be traded in at the bank, but this is only a temporary option - so it is a good idea to spend or exchange the coins now to avoid not being able to in future.

The Royal Mint says: "We would encourage you to spend, bank or donate your round £1 coins before October 15th.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top