Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 07:20 PM

Re: Bubble & Squeak

Hi SJ, absolutely adore Bubble and Squeak. Always do it the way showed by my lovely Irish Mum.

Put a largish frying pan onto the hob, Add a generous knob of butter or spread, (don't let the butter brown) before throwing in some finely chopped onions and cook gently until soft and translucent.

Then I turn the heat up a little more, add the main vegetable, mashed potato, with 1 beaten egg, generous sprinkling of cheddar cheese, salt and pepper and then add the rest of the chopped or mashed vegetables, I cook it like a pancake gently pressing it as it cooks for about 4/5 minutes until it is golden and crispy on the underside. I then attempt to turn it over and guarantee that it never stays in one pancake shape, it without fail always breaks in the centre so now I always divide it into two equal halves which makes it easier to turn. I then cook the other now two sides for about 3/4 minutes and it is done to perfection. He who must obey loves B&S with his sausages for breakfast at weekends, served with a fresh crusty buttered roll and a bottle of his HP sauce.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 08:19 PM

It all sounds lovely.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Does any one make Bubble & Squeak with their leftovers?
I have never done it before, as we don't have a lot of leftovers.

Do you just mash the vegs up and fry in pan, or do you make burgers with it etc?

I would be interested in ideas please.

What are leftovers??? - don't get any of that in here.

Yes, used to get bubble & squeak many, many years ago, but haven't had since I grew up.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I sometimes plan it as a monday meal made with brussel sprouts fantastic...
Oh yes

It's got to have sprouts in it else it ain't proper Bubble n Squeak !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 07:42 PM

The thing is with these recipes you can bung anything you want into the pan, and it'll always taste delicious!

I have made bubble before, yes, preferring cabbage, and always with onion.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Yummm to bubble and squeak

Doesn't matter what goes into it but like many I always start by softening a chopped onion in the pan first

Lovely with cold meats and pickles, even nicer with an egg and bacon for breakfast, even with just brown sauce on its own
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Drooling already.....
Me too - I want some and I want it now :

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top