Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Do You Make Your Own Gravy??

Funnily enough, I have tended to get rather lazy as I’ve gotten older, making good use of one of the dozens of packets of the very tasty Shwartz Pork, Lamb, Beef or Chicken gravy granules (add ½ pint of cold water and gently bring to the boil) instead of making it from the lovely meat juices from the Sunday roast, as I was taught to do.
I had plenty of time on my hands on Sunday as I let the beef rest, In this household Beef and Lamb joints are a rare treat as they are soooooo expensive at present, so because it was a treat I thought I would go the whole hog and make the gravy myself. Good grief, I had almost forgotten how to make it, it seemed to be such a long time since I last made my own gravy!! But there we go, I emptied most of the juice from the roasting tin, put the tin on the gas hob, added some cornflour, a Knorr Beef cube, and water from the potatoes. Wow, I’d forgotten just how yum home-made gravy tastes.

Mind you, I’m certainly not knocking my instant gravy packets! An absolute boon when serving dishes like Sausages, Onions, Mash and Peas or grilled Chops as they are grilled. But if given a choice, you really cannot beat gravy made from scratch from delicious meat juices. Sieved into a proper gravy boat just as it is ready to pour over one’s Sunday Roast. Mmmmm. Lovely.

How do you make your gravy? Or are you an Instant Gravy convert?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Re: Do You Make Your Own Gravy??

I make vegetarian gravy, using vegetable stock cubes, corn flour and softened onion and carrot.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 03:50 PM

I usually make my own gravy and much prefer it.... but if i am just cooking for myself and want gravy, I usually have a gravy mix in the cupboard.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 03:53 PM

Yes if I'm doing a roast but not if its something like chops, out come the granules
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 04:14 PM

Julie, just the mention of onion gravy makes me drool!

Twink and Missy, Glad it's not just me using granules! LOL.
I like the Bisto Onion gravy too. great with sausages, chops or making a gravy for Liver, Bacon and Onions.

My mum, bless her, if alive today, would be open-mouthed with how everything has become so easy to make with convenience foods nowadays.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 04:31 PM

I make a traditional roux: melted butter and an equal amount of wheat flour, cooked over the lowest possible flame until it takes on a sight tan color and smells faintly of nuts. To that I add what ever drippings I have from roasting, slowly cook down until thickened. If it is now too thick I add water and perhaps a Knorr cube or a can of broth
Depending upon what I'm serving I may add a splash of wine, sautéed mushrooms and/or a spoonful of tomato sauce.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
...I emptied most of the juice from the roasting tin, put the tin on the gas hob, added some cornflour, a Knorr Beef cube, and water from the potatoes. Wow, I’d forgotten just how yum home-made gravy tastes.
Please don't use stock or gravy cubes - most of them contain crap like yeast and other 'flavour enhancers'.

Here's how to make stunning gravy from scratch:

- Cook your beef joint as usual - when done remove the joint (wrap in foil) but leave the juices in it.
- When ready to make the gravy, heat, and when hot enough, deglaze with red wine.
- Once the alcohol has pretty much evaporated, let cool.
- Once cooled, add small amounts of arrowroot powder (it's gluten free) and mix into a smooth paste.
- Then slowly add warm or cool water or stock from veg (not hot!)
- Keep doing this until you have a bit more than your intended amount (it will reduce and thicken later)
- Then add quite a bit of rosemary and thyme and salt and pepper to taste
- Then heat it up while stirring - it will thicken... and...

..it will be the best gravy you've ever tasted

....and it will also actually be GOOD for you
Ambre
N/A
Ambre is female  Ambre has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 05:01 PM

I always make my own gravy and add a pinch of sugar
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Please don't use stock or gravy cubes - most of them contain crap like yeast and other 'flavour enhancers'.

Here's how to make stunning gravy from scratch:

- Cook your beef joint as usual - when done remove the joint (wrap in foil) but leave the juices in it.
- When ready to make the gravy, heat, and when hot enough, deglaze with red wine.
- Once the alcohol has pretty much evaporated, let cool.
- Once cooled, add small amounts of arrowroot powder (it's gluten free) and mix into a smooth paste.
- Then slowly add warm or cool water or stock from veg (not hot!)
- Keep doing this until you have a bit more than your intended amount (it will reduce and thicken later)
- Then add quite a bit of rosemary and thyme and salt and pepper to taste
- Then heat it up while stirring - it will thicken... and...

..it will be the best gravy you've ever tasted

....and it will also actually be GOOD for you
That sounds lovely Azz... what time do you want us all to arrive for dinner next Sunday?
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 06:27 PM

make my own now an again,used to be my job as a kid,stir the gravy,mmm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top