Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Re: Things you just can't cook

A bit like hash browns I guess. Have never made them, are these held together with egg too?
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 06:54 PM

Egg and flour, yes, for the ones made with shredded potato. I don't really use a recipe. I just shred the potatoes, wring out as much moisture as I can, then toss them in a bowl with beaten egg, salt & pepper and a little bit of flour and that helps to hold it all together. I suppose the flour isn't really necessary, if you don't want to use it, but the 'batter' will be a little runnier without it.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Another one to try, thanks Linda.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 07:07 PM

Sure

Like I said, you can add shredded carrot or courgette or onion, anything to make it even tastier and boost the nutritional value. I also make courgette cakes with just the shredded courgette (again, wringing out as much moisture as possible) and mix with egg, salt & pepper and usually with courgette I'll use seasoned bread crumbs instead of flour.
Senex
California, USA
Senex is male  Senex has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 12:37 PM

I'm a real good cook so far as American homey style goes, but never could do cakes, bread, or pie crust. When I make my blueberry or sweet potato caramel cake, I always get a box of pound cake mix. Store bought pie crust or bread. No sense in even trying.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Simply cannot ever make the perfect boiled egg, they always look like the craters on the moon with all the pitted parts where the shell stuck.
I had the same problem with soft boiled eggs with nice runny yolks and cooked white, until I got 1 minute 40 seconds into this video from Gordon Ramsay. (Ignore the first part about anchovies!)

Never had a problem since!

(Bring water to the boil, gently lower the egg(s) in, back to boil, count 4.5 mins exactly, out. Done!)
Linda0818
USA

21-02-2018, 01:34 AM

Oh how I miss eating eggs with runny yolk. That was one of my favorite things in the world - soft boiled eggs, fried eggs over easy, drippy, delicious, decadent yolks that I could dip my toast into...

But no more.

Ever since I was pregnant with my son, I've become allergic to underdone eggs. Both the white AND the yolk has to be thoroughly cooked or I get a bad reaction, i.e. swollen and itchy throat, hard to swallow, etc. I can eat eggs, which I still love, as long as they're scrambled or hard boiled. No tiny part of the egg can be undercooked.

Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Oh how I miss eating eggs with runny yolk. That was one of my favorite things in the world - soft boiled eggs, fried eggs over easy, drippy, delicious, decadent yolks that I could dip my toast into...

But no more.

Ever since I was pregnant with my son, I've become allergic to underdone eggs. Both the white AND the yolk has to be thoroughly cooked or I get a bad reaction, i.e. swollen and itchy throat, hard to swallow, etc. I can eat eggs, which I still love, as long as they're scrambled or hard boiled. No tiny part of the egg can be undercooked.

Aww Linda!
Mind you.. ..
I find ANY kind of melted cheese (hard or soft)
is far nicer than a soft egg
ANY day
Linda0818
USA

21-02-2018, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Aww Linda!
Mind you.. ..
I find ANY kind of melted cheese (hard or soft)
is far nicer than a soft egg
ANY day
I'm not a huge fan of cheese

I'd gladly trade cheese for the chance to eat a runny yolk again. I miss it so much.

Haha, I remember one of my favorite snacks. I would toast 2 toaster waffles and get them nice and crunchy. Then I would fry an egg, leaving the yolk whole, but runny. Then I would put the egg in between the two waffles and eat it like a sandwich and it was almost like Christmas to me when I'd get to that yolk. I'd bite into it and the yolk would bust open and it would be all drippy and gooey and perfectly wonderful. A very messy little snack, but omg, it was good.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I'm not a huge fan of cheese

I'd gladly trade cheese for the chance to eat a runny yolk again. I miss it so much.

Haha, I remember one of my favorite snacks. I would toast 2 toaster waffles and get them nice and crunchy. Then I would fry an egg, leaving the yolk whole, but runny. Then I would put the egg in between the two waffles and eat it like a sandwich and it was almost like Christmas to me when I'd get to that yolk. I'd bite into it and the yolk would bust open and it would be all drippy and gooey and perfectly wonderful. A very messy little snack, but omg, it was good.
Slight variation on a theme, in a seeded bun, place a (cooked) quarter pounder burger, top it with a fried or poached egg, then replace the top and eat that!!!

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top