Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Re: Roger Whittaker - Durham Town

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Since he was basically a white Kenyan he´d probably have been better singing "I´ve got to leave Nairobi town".
That made me laugh
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 08:09 PM

Aaw I liked most of his music, wherever he came from,.. but I think this was his best

https://youtu.be/sGWs1HK8iDU,
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by tomtwodogs ->
Aaw I liked most of his music, wherever he came from,.. but I think this was his best

https://youtu.be/sGWs1HK8iDU,
Elvis loved that track, playing it endlessly, and incorporating it into his own sets.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 09:30 PM

Erm you don’t sit on the banks of the Tyne in Durham town, take it from me
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 09:45 PM

My brother often used to sing that song - we grew up in the North East. I always got the impression from the lyrics about his Daddy leaving for war, then watching all the ships going down the line and leaving (the decline of the shipping industry, perhaps?) then finally his Mum dying, that there was nothing left for him to stay for - no family left and no work there after the shipyards went into decline, so he had to leave to seek his fortune in the wider world, although the leaving made him sad.
Obviously not biographical for Roger Whittaker, or geographically correct, but the song conjures up the feelings that prompted many of us Northerners to leave the area for better work opportunities, although we suffered the usual pangs of leaving our familiar childhood home.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

15-11-2017, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Erm you don’t sit on the banks of the Tyne in Durham town, take it from me
Yes it's the Wear in Durham.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

15-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
My brother often used to sing that song - we grew up in the North East. I always got the impression from the lyrics about his Daddy leaving for war, then watching all the ships going down the line and leaving (the decline of the shipping industry, perhaps?) then finally his Mum dying, that there was nothing left for him to stay for - no family left and no work there after the shipyards went into decline, so he had to leave to seek his fortune in the wider world, although the leaving made him sad.
Obviously not biographical for Roger Whittaker, or geographically correct, but the song conjures up the feelings that prompted many of us Northerners to leave the area for better work opportunities, although we suffered the usual pangs of leaving our familiar childhood home.
Thoughtful answer.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 07:07 AM

It was indeed .
There is a sadness about the demise of the great industrial north and its culture so different now.

Just reading about Roger Whitaker own life which had its own tragedy his Father being murdered in Africa .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Whittaker
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

16-11-2017, 09:44 AM

I read that; a terrible tragedy to go through.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 11:50 AM

If he wanted to sit on the banks of the Tyne he would need to get his arse on the Virgin East Coast Train and travel about 15 minutes North, free wifi and a catering service would be provided and no booking fee!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top