Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Re: Should voting be made compulsory?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We delegate our democracy in the UK because the average person in the street doesn't have sufficient knowledge or understanding of future implications to make those decisions. Nor do they want to read volumes of information.

Really , that sounds rather patronising, what is 'an average person'. I think you underestimate people . I have encountered people in every walk of life from miners to farm labourers who have a higher level of intelligence than some of those who make decisions. Just because they chose not to join the decision makers doesn't mean they lack knowledge.

I haven't delegated my 'democracy' to anyone. Politicians may have been elected to speak on my behalf but I still retain my own particular views on democracy.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 10:48 AM

It would cost a fortune to police and fine non voters .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 11:18 AM

one should be allowed to vote or not this is a free country, JUST. what is wrong is any political power in office should not take a none vote to be considered as agreeing with their policy. This happened in 1972 with the joining the common market, the government at the time wanted in so all the none voters were considered to be in favour. This is where our voting system is misused to the benifit of those who want a decision to go their way
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
It would cost a fortune to police and fine non voters .
It doesn't.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
one should be allowed to vote or not this is a free country
I agree.

People who are forced to vote are unlikely to vote with any conviction.

I'd like to think that those who do vote do so because they feel strongly about the party or its policies which they support.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 10:00 PM

headless ostriches come to mind! we've had this discussion countless times - type in google - European countries who support compulsory voting and read and inwardly digest.

and remember Australia is a far more successful example of a multicultural country than UK and has compulsory voting - it bothers no one and ensures maximum turn out and a much true picture of the voting wishes of the population.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 11:16 PM

I voted in the last election because there were some issues I felt strongly about. However, in the previous elections I didn't vote because there was no one who represented my views and I disagreed with many policies from all contender party's at the time. I saw my non-vote as a "vote of inconfidence" to any political party and my right to express my dismay at the politics at the time.

If there was an election tomorrow and if I felt there was nothing to vote for (something I give a lot of consideration over), I would abstain my vote. If made compulsory (which I disagree with) I would either spoil my paper, or deliberately vote for the lowest loser least likely to get in. I know my democratic rights have been fought for, but so is my right to abstain.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 11:45 PM

and is it your right to accept sharia law all over the country and have no go zones in many of your cities; and immigrants pouring in from all over Europe ? - you have all of these 'rights' because you didn't bother to vote.

you are losing traditional England every call the mulla makes to pray because you can't be bothered voting!

I think it was Winston Churchill who once said "the price of democracy is eternal vigilance " that also means vigilance at the ballot box
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->

If there was an election tomorrow and if I felt there was nothing to vote for (something I give a lot of consideration over), I would abstain my vote. If made compulsory (which I disagree with) I would either spoil my paper, or deliberately vote for the lowest loser least likely to get in. I know my democratic rights have been fought for, but so is my right to abstain.
You can spoilt your voting paper, you can write "David Cameron Sux" on it, the only compulsory thing about compulsory voting is that you turn up to any polling station and get your name crossed off the roll. What you do with the ballot paper they give you is entirely up to you BUT it expresses your will so no one can complain about the result.

Compulsory voting, along with holding elections on a Saturday and preferential voting are the only way to go. When the UK becomes a democracy perhaps it will take these steps too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 08:35 AM

I would only vote on a Saturday, if I got Time and a Half.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top