Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 03:28 PM

Re: Spiralisers

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not so sure I think the replacement for spaghetti will be around for a long time and any way to get veg into kids is going to be popular.
Sounds good to me.

They were demonstrating them in Sainsbury's, which is what prompted my question.
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 04:28 PM

The sure fire way to ensure that children eat everything on their plate is to have 9 or 10 of them (children I mean). They will learn that they must eat everything on their plate or go hungry. Meal times are a set time and must be eaten at a table all together. If you're not there, you don't get fed.
I can eat everything on my plate: the only thing I struggle with is tripe. It was a cheap and nourishing food, but I have to admit that it would go out of the house up my sleeve. A very happy childhood though.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Each to their own but "making food fun" imo is a recipe for problems. Food is just food. It is fuel for the body and kids need to grow up understanding that basic necessity. When they are encouraged to view eating time as "fun" or to see certain foods as "fun" and thus other foods as "not fun" then you're heading for future problems, not least of which is the fact that when they are old enough to go out and buy and choose their own foods, they will simply choose the foods that they deem "fun" which in many cases will be the bad foods, laden with sugars.

A guy on another forum I used to use reported his long standing problems with his 2 daughters who positively refused to eat anything healthy. They were in despair. They had tried all manner of cajoling, dressing food up, making it "fun", hiding it in other foods and so on and still gotten nowhere. They had taken the kids to GPs because their health was being seriously impacted. This had gone on for some years. The parents were absolutely desperate.

On the forum I advised them that making such a big deal of eating times and specific foods was a bad thing to do. The kids mind-sets would be already set and expecting any meal time to be a trauma and unpleasant experience.

I told them to take the kids to the supermarket (they had previously avoided that as it was hassle to manage them). I told them to make a list of vegetables they needed and to give that list to the daughters and present it as a treasure hunt. They had to go find the ingredients and not only that but come back with the best example of each one and there would be prizes (say choc bars) for completing the list.

They did this the next day. The kids absolutely loved exploring the supermarket and hunting out the items on the list. They were engaged with the food, handling the food, picking the food themselves. I told the parents to be sure to refer to each item as THEIRS. i.e. let's peel Sarah's special carrot that SHE found, let's cook Rachel's courgette that SHE found. I also told the parents to engage the kids in the peeling, preparing and cooking of those ingredients that THEY had selected.

They did all this next day, and that same evening the girls sat down and munched their way through a wide range of vegetables and foods that up until this point, they had steadfastly refused to eat.

It's all about mind-set, about not making food eating a big deal, about avoiding any pressure at meal times.

Food is what it is. It shouldn't imo be dressed up, camouflaged, hidden or presented other than as what it inherently is. Kids need to engage with the raw ingredients and thereby have no fear of them.
That's bribery and making food fun ! So ok for you not for me ?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's bribery and making food fun ! So ok for you not for me ?
Yes I agree Julie.

My daughter was horrendous with food. A total nightmare. No reason for her being like that, unless it was a throw back for disruption in her 3rd year of childhood and onwards.

I did everything ie 'dressing' up food, and 'hiding' foods in other foodstuffs, moulding potatoes with a melon baller. Whatever. She either sicked food up on the plate or refused to eat.
You do what you have to do to get them to eat.
Your way is your way.
Our way is our way.
There is no right way to try and get a child to eat, whatever works is a step in the right direction IMO

Thankfully now, she is near enough fine. Although sometimes still does wretch.

By the way Realist are you American? You say 'gotten' instead of 'got'

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top