Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2015, 09:57 PM

Re: And still they come pouring in............

selfishness and greed and avarise etc etc will out - it is hard to lower our own standard of living for others.

I was sitting discussing this very topic with an old mate over a cup of tea the other day and I asked him "OK if a family of immigrants turned up at your gate tomorrow asking for help and shelter - how much would you be prepared to give away from all you have and still live comfortably?- the answer was swift and clean "half"

what he was suggesting is that he really only needed 50% of everything he had to be comfortable the rest was gathered surplus - our junk if you like and excesses!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 12:22 AM

and Britain via Cameron joins the 'we have and you don't and you're not getting' parade!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...-surge/6571976
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Whatever the answer is, what it isn't is opening the doors to hundreds of thousands more immigrants.
At present, England is the most overcrowded major country in Europe - largely due to the mass immigration encouraged by Blair and Brown's New Labour governments. Currently we have 419 people per sq. kilometer, compared with 226 in Germany and 105 in France (ironically the two EU countries pushing for the UK to take on more immigration).
Our own people are suffering from austerity policies - the last thing we need is even more immigration to push wages further down and make employment even harder to find.
It may sound selfish, but I've worked hard my whole life - everything I have I have earned by my hard work. I've never been on benefits and have supported the less well off through my taxes and through individual contributions to charities close to my heart. We are comfortable, but in no way well off. We don't smoke, rarely drink, rarely go out and haven't had more than a long weekend's holiday in 20 years. What do you suggest I give up?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

26-06-2015, 01:44 PM

[QUOTEWhat do you suggest I give up? ][/QUOTE]

freedom - as did the slaves of Britain - it is hard won and easily lost!

Britain once was a great empire and used slaves in all its colonies - Britain is now becoming the 'slave' of the EEU - let them all in and they will erode your hard earned 'freedom'
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
when I hear someone say "the only answer is......." I know that there is always more than 'the only' and they haven't thought it through?
Why if you know better don't you answer the question then because I have only the one answer and I at least was brave enough to say it. And no I don't sit here day in day out pondering the question I have a life a relatively hard one compared to some and struggle myself to make my life work, if yours is easier and you can criticise anyone who steps up and gives an opinion then you answer it. I am tiring of being criticised for simply having opinions these days or for posting too much or too little or any of the other things some members come up with. Step up and answer the questions yourselves if you are not interested in what I have to say.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 04:44 PM

I am very cynical,Igrew up with grandfather who got a blighty one,one uncle who remained very quiet(special opps)one uncle objector on moral grounds-and that thing who was a combat dodger.

Then Korea,Vietnam,The Killing fields of Cambodia, Slaughter in India,Africa and Europe. And not not get me started about N Korea-when will they ever learn?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Why if you know better don't you answer the question then because I have only the one answer and I at least was brave enough to say it. And no I don't sit here day in day out pondering the question I have a life a relatively hard one compared to some and struggle myself to make my life work, if yours is easier and you can criticise anyone who steps up and gives an opinion then you answer it. I am tiring of being criticised for simply having opinions these days or for posting too much or too little or any of the other things some members come up with. Step up and answer the questions yourselves if you are not interested in what I have to say.

I'll say - at least you have an opinion, usually constructive, amongst the drivel that's put forward at times ......
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

26-06-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
well urhm let me think - IMO you don't have to supply any answers J'62 - we can all express opinions but surely we should not be expected to supply the ONLY way answer? -even the President of USA doesn't provided the answers, he has an army of advisors - who advise him! Same with UK PM - you seem to have an "I know how to fix it" style which can get up peoples noses. Xcuse me I have a nose scratch coming on!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 11:42 PM

This is why the Tories won the election, everybody turning on each other! You'll have to agree to disagree and move on! There's enough unpleasantness in the world. Let's be civil, please!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2015, 12:31 AM

Is this just because Julie began a perfectly sound post with "the only answer is...." Jeeze, it's just a figure of speech!!!!!!!
Gumbud go and sit on the naughty step!
You lot are so flipping touchy, and Julie stop being so defensive, whop him one between the eyes and then all grow up!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top