Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:34 PM

Replacing door furniture

I am SO cross! All I want to do is replace the scratched and half painted door handles with new door handles - of EXACTLY the same size........but screw holes etc are in a very very slightly position. How do I get around this downright greedy commercial dictate????
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:44 PM

Re: Replacing door furniture

When this happened to me I just bought handles with a bigger back plate, big enough to cover the old holes and the bit where the old handles had been. They're usually more expensive but worth it as they make such a difference.
I get your drift though about moving the holes a bit if you want the same handles, that's why they're in business - to take more of our money !!..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Commiserations Lindy , after 30 years in this house I finally got around to changing 8 sets of door handles last year.

I carefully measured the old handles but all the new ones I looked at were wider with 4 holes instead of 3 . I had to drill new holes in all the doors ,very tedious.

It's the same with many things, curtain plastic runners and hooks drive me mad, I have a draw full of obsolete ones where a few have broken and can't be replaced meaning I have to replace the lot
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:23 PM

Thanks both.........if I really needed to, I guess I could just about drill new holes, but I'm sure they would encroach on the new holes making one huge, unusable hole!!! I'm having a laminate floor laid tomorrow and the man quoted me £65 for fitting various bits of door furniture - NOT including this latest discovery! I'm down with a heavy cold and after falling off my ladder a week ago and on heavy-duty pain relief, can't think straight, let alone drill a straight hole!! Very tempted to stick to the horrible scratched and ukky chrome!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks both.........if I really needed to, I guess I could just about drill new holes, but I'm sure they would encroach on the new holes making one huge, unusable hole!!! I'm having a laminate floor laid tomorrow and the man quoted me £65 for fitting various bits of door furniture - NOT including this latest discovery! I'm down with a heavy cold and after falling off my ladder a week ago and on heavy-duty pain relief, can't think straight, let alone drill a straight hole!! Very tempted to stick to the horrible scratched and ukky chrome!!
Lindy I had to fill in the old holes on one side of the fittings where the new holes were going to be very close and it was fine I used a good quality ready mixed filler.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

02-02-2016, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Lindy I had to fill in the old holes on one side of the fittings where the new holes were going to be very close and it was fine I used a good quality ready mixed filler.
Meg - can you confirm that if you put filler in the old holes, you can still drill through.........if the new holes encroached on the old holes?? This is getting to be a holy discussion!!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:30 PM

Oh dear, you're not really in the best frame of mind for fiddling around with these kind of problems. Maybe get yourself better and think about it more, then?
Good luck whatever you decide.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:31 PM

Can you get the old handles replated?
Lindyloo
isle of wight

02-02-2016, 08:46 PM

Thanks again........replating would probably cost half a fortune. I'm at the mercy of the floor laminator layer man tomorrow.......I foresee loadsofdosh!!!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Google a company called Chrome Fix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top