Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 11:02 AM

Re: Storage Radiators

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
Malcolm, try telling that to my landlady, this is an all electric flat.
All electric too - we had no choice either already here - new build
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 04:18 PM

Hi
We have night storage radiators. They were in the property when we moved here about 27 years ago.
We have no problem with them.
Although the 'input' settings go up to '5' they are currently set at less than '3' because of the milder winter.
The 'output' settings are always set on '1'. That conserves some of the heat until the evenings...
We estimate that the 4 storage radiators we have must be about 35 or 36 years old (no maintenance charges in all that time.)
Our property is a typical 3 bedroom house with integral garage...

Everyone who visits us, says that the house is 'nice and warm'...
Ours are the older type...The more modern type are very slim, they look more pleasing, however I think they lack the ability to store sufficient heat in the colder weather.

Malc.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 04:29 PM

Pleased to hear you get on with them Malc - would not be my choice
Patsy
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Pleased to hear you get on with them Malc - would not be my choice
Patsy
Hi Patsy,
Thank you for your reply...I agree with you that they aren't a perfect form of heating system, but they need to be carefully managed. (A bit like women)

Regards, Malc.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-02-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Hi Patsy,
Thank you for your reply...I agree with you that they aren't a perfect form of heating system, but they need to be carefully managed. (A bit like women)Regards, Malc.
Oh ! Well thanks for the giggle - perfect timing too
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 10:19 PM

I have the storage radiators too and agree with Patsy: very difficult to judge how the next day will be temp wise.

I do wish people wouldn't be so judgemental with our 'choice of heating'! My flat was also a new build and I had no say in the type installed either. And we are all electric on the site. I could, of course, move!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 12:52 AM

The danger is with storage radiators is to set the input too high. Under the top of a modern storage radiator is a long flap which opens and closes based on the position of a bi-metal strip. As the bricks inside the heater warm up, the bi-metal strip straightens up taking downward pressure off the flap allowing it to close. This then acts like any radiator getting the heat from the casing. As the bricks begin to cool down during the course of the day, the strip begins to bend and presses on the flap allowing it to open allowing the heater to work like a convector. The amount the flap can open is controlled by the output knob - set at 5 or 6 the flap can open too much and let the heat out too quickly so there's no heat in the evening. Left at 1, the flap would never open so heat can't get out and as the case would have cooled down won't act as a radiator either. If the input is left set too high, the bricks inside the heater won't cool down and the flap would never open.

Best to have input set around 3 and gradually turn up the input as the weather gets colder. If you're going to be out, turn the output down to number one to preserve any heat then turn it back up when you get back home but not so far as to lose all the stored heat at once. A bit of trial and error involved.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The danger is with storage radiators is to set the input too high. Under the top of a modern storage radiator is a long flap which opens and closes based on the position of a bi-metal strip. As the bricks inside the heater warm up, the bi-metal strip straightens up taking downward pressure off the flap allowing it to close. This then acts like any radiator getting the heat from the casing. As the bricks begin to cool down during the course of the day, the strip begins to bend and presses on the flap allowing it to open allowing the heater to work like a convector. The amount the flap can open is controlled by the output knob - set at 5 or 6 the flap can open too much and let the heat out too quickly so there's no heat in the evening. Left at 1, the flap would never open so heat can't get out and as the case would have cooled down won't act as a radiator either. If the input is left set too high, the bricks inside the heater won't cool down and the flap would never open.
Best to have input set around 3 and gradually turn up the input as the weather gets colder. If you're going to be out, turn the output down to number one to preserve any heat then turn it back up when you get back home but not so far as to lose all the stored heat at once. A bit of trial and error involved.
Thanks for the info - Input for me is dial straight up to 12 O'clock position - Output always down - I think I'll turn the Output up on colder days. On warmer days the Input is at 10 or 11 O'clock, but takes hours of course to cool down, then of an evening its chilly again
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.

09-02-2016, 02:08 PM

Hi again,
This link may be helpful:
https://www.cse.org.uk/downloads/adv...age_heater.pdf

It's also possible that the size of the heaters may not be sufficient to cope with the room size.
Our sitting-room area is 26 square yards and there are two old style heaters fitted, (each 2.5 kw). Of course they are not using the 2.5kw when the settings are lower, but the option IS there, should it be needed.

Some properties only have one heater installed (or two smaller ones) which could struggle to achieve a comfortable temperature in the winter months...
Hope the link is helpful.
Malc.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2016, 02:10 PM

Oh a box came up that I don't understand Malc ..............

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top