Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Bloody Internet!!

Woke up this morning and no internet.

Done all the usual, re-booted the router several times etc- nothing.
Got on to Talk Talk. They ran diagnostics and concluded the router is knackered and will send me a new one tomorrow.

Router showed no internet all day no matter what.
Then, at 7pm - internet back on with me touching nothing?
Go figure??

Was there a fault at the exchange that they didn't realise or detect? - all very odd.

Anyway - at least I'll have a spare router arriving tmrw..
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 09:14 PM

Re: Bloody Internet!!

We were with Talk Talk for quite a few years and kept getting the same problems, and the new router..

We decided when we moved house we would change the service provider to Plus.Net and no more problems And all English speaking people
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 09:26 PM

To be fair with them, they were very easy to get hold of. They ran the diagnostics within 15 mins, and when they concluded the router was duff, they dispatched one on a next day delivery.
Even if the router is not at fault and it was something else, they were pretty quick to try and sort it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 09:29 PM

All internet providers will make all manner of excuses for the times when they clearly KNOW that their service is impacted. This ensures they don't get people claiming for compensation for having no or poor service.

In reality, most providers are hanging off BT infrastructure at some point over which they have no control. When things go wrong the ISP will blame BT and vice versa and the customer is left in the middle.

Every internet consumer should arm themselves with at least 2 routers of different makes/models.

You can walk into Maplins tomorrow and pick up a really good router for £30-£40.

What this does is give you the ability, when the ISP claims there's nothing wrong with the service, to plug in that 2nd router and see that the LEDs don't light up, thereby confirming there is no signal coming through on your line.
It's a slam dunk situation.

Never just rely on the router that the ISP provdes. They are invariably crap, last about 1-2 years max before packing in and tend not to have a good wireless signal. If you like to sit out on the back garden for example you may find that the ISP router isn't quite powerful enough whereas the Maplin router will have no problem at all.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

24-01-2017, 09:35 PM

Cheers Realist,

I'd not be surprised if it was another issue and not the router, otherwise I'd not be online now!
I need a specific router as I'm on fibre optic broadband. However, as mentioned I've a new one arriving tmrw now anyway.
Can't say I've had many issues with my ISP - it's always been pretty good and reliable tbh.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 11:02 PM

I bet it was the cawuffle resistor......
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

24-01-2017, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I bet it was the cawuffle resistor......
You really do talk cobblers sometimes.

It was the semi rotary cluster valve...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 11:54 PM

I stand corrected.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

24-01-2017, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I stand corrected.
And so you should be - please think next time.....
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

24-01-2017, 11:56 PM

Cobblers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top