Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Legal action launched for vaginal mesh sufferers

An implant for women with incontinence after childbirth is the subject of legal action claiming it has left some in chronic pain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39567240

I believe this pelvic mesh was used in my operation for a prolapse and vaginal hysterectomy in 2010. I am now suffering a lot of pain and struggle to walk and have been getting infections for the last couple of years. I have another prolapse and am waiting to see a gynecologist, have been waiting four months so far for an appointment and I've been told there is a long waiting list. The pain is really getting me down and I suspect the mesh is the cause of my current problems.. I wonder if there are any other sufferers reading this forum.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Re: Legal action launched for vaginal mesh sufferers

My surgical team at the UCLH offered more surgery, after the one for the urethral diverticulum, and I think this is what they had in mind.

Having researched it thoroughly, and realising it's not failsafe, and many women are suffering more afterwards (like me, after my earlier surgery), and because they never offered adequate pain relief, I turned it down. I would rather go on as I am, than take the risk of suffering more pain at a later date. I feel my life has been ruined enough already: I have pain if doing too much, as it is.

I wish you well.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 08:49 AM

No personal experience but one of my friends had that done a few years ago - and was totally unable to have sex afterward - said it was too painful. The mesh eventually broke up inside her and caused all kinds of problems - had to be taken out - but they did not find all of it in one go - she had to go back 3 times before they retrieved it all.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Sorry to hear of your problems Jazzi and your friend Silver Tabby.

I understand the mesh degrades and becomes embedded. The mesh has been described as "barbaric" and is still being used in the Welsh NHS despite complaints. I am not interested in taking legal action, I obviously want rid of the pain, the prolapse repaired and definite answers to my questions.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 12:53 PM

I hope it is sorted for you soon, Leia
Leia
UK

18-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Thank you Silver Tabby.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 01:13 PM

I have not heard of vaginal mesh before although I do know that giving birth can cause incontinence. Why was it used? I always thought the incontinence was temporary and helped by exercises.
Leia
UK

18-07-2017, 01:32 PM

I didn't have incontinence following childbirth, it was used in my prolapse surgery, I had a vaginal hysterectomy at the same time. Although I have had two children I did strenuous work for twenty years which involved heavy lifting which I think may have been responsible although I'm not sure about that. My prolapse was quite severe, stage four if i remember correctly. I only remember being told that the mesh holds all the weak structures in place.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
I didn't have incontinence following childbirth, it was used in my prolapse surgery, I had a vaginal hysterectomy at the same time. Although I have had two children I did strenuous work for twenty years unloading deliveries which I think may have been responsible although I'm not sure about that. My prolapse was quite severe, stage four if i remember correctly. I only remember being told that the mesh holds all the weak structures in place.
I see. Apologies, I mis-read your post.
Leia
UK

18-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I see. Apologies, I mis-read your post.
Sorry, the first sentence was taken from an article I'd read. I believe mesh is used in hernia operations too but may be different to the gynaecoligal mesh though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top