Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
sawdust
New Member!
Hampshire, uk.
sawdust is male 

04-10-2016, 11:17 AM

dog teeth cleaning

I visited my vet yesterday for his yearly jab and she told me he has tartar on his teeth, we give him dentenoke stick every night.
Is there a dry food I can give that helps as I don't fancy using a tooth brush on him.
Sorry if I have spelt Dentenoke wrong.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Re: dog teeth cleaning

why do you not like to use a tooth brush ? i dont clean my dogs teeth regular but this morning i thought she had something stuck in her teeth so out came the tooth brush, she didnt mind .

I give a handful of wags food every day and im sure thats helping to keep her teeth clean . Soft meat seems to build up in the crevices .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 11:35 AM

I don't clean mine, but I give a really crunchy carrot twice a day and my vet says the girls teeth are fabulous. Betty chihuahua particularly good as Chis teeth are notorious but hers are lovely and clean.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't clean mine, but I give a really crunchy carrot twice a day and my vet says the girls teeth are fabulous. Betty chihuahua particularly good as Chis teeth are notorious but hers are lovely and clean.

Ellie loves a carrot too .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 11:38 AM

How bad is the tartar? If it is bad, I would say it is best to let the vet clean it off before it affects her gums.

They say a raw diet is best to keep teeth clean, or raw meaty marrow bones.
You would still have to clean the tartar off first though.
There is a product called 'Plaque Off' for dogs (and cats) which only a natural seaweed, I have heard one or two good reports of this.

I may be wrong, but personally, I can't see how giving dry biscuit type food will ever clean teeth - does eating biscuits clean yours?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Hi Reggie I don't like the dental sticks.
Carrots are a good thing to chew on as already suggested.

You can buy something called Logic from the vet/online which you put in your dog's mouth to prevent tartar.

I clean my dogs teeth every other day with a toothbrush and doggy toothpaste or herbal human toothpaste from the health food shop which smells nice and contains no fluoride which is harmful too dogs .
My dog doesn't mind having her teeth cleaned at all
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 03:26 PM

When we got our Minnie, her teeth badly needed cleaning, so we had it done.
Now we give her a half of a Dental stick (she is small) every evening after her feed.
I took her to the vet yesterday for her booster injection, and the vet gave her the OK.
He said that I have to take her back in 4 weeks for another jab (no extra charge) as he said this is a must have.
Something about an extra precaution.
Anyone also heard of this?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Now we give her a half of a Dental stick (she is small) every evening after her feed.
I took her to the vet yesterday for her booster injection, and the vet gave her the OK.
He said that I have to take her back in 4 weeks for another jab (no extra charge) as he said this is a must have.
Yes happened to us this year too, seems the manufacturers want it done and there was no charge so we did it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
EJ the Leptospirosis vaccination changed a couple of years back and the first time you have it two doses are required then it should be back to one.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 04:58 PM

Chewing cats - bones and all - would surely do the trick ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top