Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 09:24 PM

Re: Shoreham Plane Crash

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Do people REALLY have to see this planes flying? Can't they use their imagination and just view them?
landing a Vulcan on something like a football pitch may prove a problem
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
landing a Vulcan on something like a football pitch may prove a problem
Ah right. So these planes are just flying over. They ain't already there and taking off. I get it now.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Do people REALLY have to see this planes flying? Can't they use their imagination and just view them?
Yes they do MKJ, I liken it to seeing a classic car from years ago.
I worked on some great aircraft in my day and it gives me pleasure to see those aircraft still flying.
Yes there is an element of risk when they fly old planes, but I can assure you these planes are better serviced now than they were ever before.
I certainly wouldn't have risked a loop in a plane like this Hawker Hunter, but the powers that be obviously thought this was possible.
Sadly with flying there is always an element of risk, thousands fly daily to holiday destinations without a second thought about it.
Flying is still the safest way of travel, sadly if they have a malfunction it is always catastrophic no getting away from that.
I went to Eastbourne last year to see two Lancaster's and Spitfires fly, it was a nostalgic moment that thousands witnessed and enjoyed.

Sadly I have just heard the death toll in the Shoreham crash could reach 20, not good at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:13 AM

Interesting question I was wondering the same but also why do they try stunts with these old machines many were designed to carry bombs or people not do loop the loops and certainly weren't meant to last over 50 years.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:18 AM

Julie the Hunter was built to loop it was a fighter plane and definitely pulled off more manoeuvres than a loop, it was one of the Black Arrows of its day.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:26 AM

But it's old was it built to do them now many years later ? I could stand on my head and do a back flip 40 years ago don't ask me to even get up from the floor quickly today age ages us all including forms of transport.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Begs the question why they are still in service with the RAF then.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

24-08-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Yes they do MKJ, I liken it to seeing a classic car from years ago.
I worked on some great aircraft in my day and it gives me pleasure to see those aircraft still flying.
Yes there is an element of risk when they fly old planes, but I can assure you these planes are better serviced now than they were ever before.
I certainly wouldn't have risked a loop in a plane like this Hawker Hunter, but the powers that be obviously thought this was possible.
Sadly with flying there is always an element of risk, thousands fly daily to holiday destinations without a second thought about it.
Flying is still the safest way of travel, sadly if they have a malfunction it is always catastrophic no getting away from that.
I went to Eastbourne last year to see two Lancaster's and Spitfires fly, it was a nostalgic moment that thousands witnessed and enjoyed.

Sadly I have just heard the death toll in the Shoreham crash could reach 20, not good at all.
julie said :----But it's old was it built to do them now many years later ?

I did say this in an earlier post, see highlighted piece.
We just have to wait for aviation investigators to come up with the reason for this crash, could be many things so best to leave it to them.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Seems crazy to me after looking at the footage of the crash that such a maneuver was considered over a busy road? Looks like utter madness so from that perspective I would put this down to showing off and / or bad judgement.

A loop in a JET at such a low level? Blimey I would have thought this was, and is, incredibly difficult to pull off and dangerous to boot.

I feel sorry for the motorists who were going about their daily business and then finding themselves caught up in this. I don't feel so sorry for the pilot though or the event organisers come to that.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Seems crazy to me after looking at the footage of the crash that such a maneuver was considered over a busy road? Looks like utter madness so from that perspective I would put this down to showing off and / or bad judgement.

A loop in a JET at such a low level? Blimey I would have thought this was, and is, incredibly difficult to pull off and dangerous to boot.

I feel sorry for the motorists who were going about their daily business and then finding themselves caught up in this. I don't feel so sorry for the pilot though or the event organisers come to that.
My thoughts - exactly

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top