Join for free
Page 289 of 1676 « First < 189 239 279 287 288 289 290 291 299 339 389 789 1289 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 10:15 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

how about a rail stop as they say in russia?? damned clever those ruskies or an engine call as they say in chez? or choo choo stop as they say in my grandsons kindergarten?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 10:50 PM

The Police, and Fire Service, have Stations, but, no rolling stock, so, the Trains are a distraction, or, am I overthinking this one?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 11:19 PM

of course they have rolling stock - never seen a police car or fire engine??? you are staying up too late these days spittie and it's doin ya head in and has anyone mentioned ambulance stations or army,navy and airforce stations ???

it's the station that remains stationary see and everything else keeps movin
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:40 AM

See Gummy, back in the day, in the office, we had a Stationary Cupboard, which, periodically, I moved to a different location, so much for that theory, plus, most folks are static, until, hopefully, they become upwardly mobile.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
See Gummy, back in the day, in the office, we had a Stationary Cupboard, which, periodically, I moved to a different location, so much for that theory, plus, most folks are static, until, hopefully, they become upwardly mobile.
now you lookiie here now - in our office we had a clerical office cupboard but it didn't do three hail marys every morning as we opened it up and then our man in the maintenance yard had a strong steel dangerous tools cupboard but he didn't keep getting his tool out every hr to check it!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Well the Police are not supposed to be stationary, they are supposed to running around catching crooks, a stationary copper is a useless copper, unless they have a desk job.
Why then do Soldiers have Barracks and not stations? Stations imply remote outposts for pony express riders to change horses, fur trappers to buy provisions and sell their wares, and telegraph operators, all back in the wild west of the 1800’s, that’s probably how Railway Stations originally got the name and it stuck, that's my guess.
Let us spare a thought for the poor unfortunate African animals who were forcibly taken from their homeland and brought to the North Pole, stuck up there freezing to death in Ice Station Zebra, you don’t see any charities collecting for them and saying there are only three left, we gotta save them now before it’s too late.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Thank you Gummy me oul pal for those additional station descriptions, nothing like a good spanner chucking to make things clearer.
I have trains in me blood, my father and his father before him were train drivers, I love travelling on them, and now I can go anywhere in Ireland for free with the pensioners pass.
That once favourite American singer of mine Del Shannon had a song featuring a “Railway Station”, don’t know how he got his surname, he was never within a thousand miles of the Shannon, but to give him his due he knows a Railway Station when he sees one, his song, not very well know and written by himself was a “B” side, incidentally his last record release was “You know you love me” on the “A” side and “Kiss me” on the backside, anyway the song opens like this.

“I went down to the Railway Station a honey
Overheard the conversation a honey
You were talkin to a guy named Jim
And the things that you were tellin him
You talked and talked so endlessly
Tears filled my eyes I couldn’t see
But you never talked about me honey
About Meeeeeeee a honey”

And on he went into that squeal of his, so memorable in his top hit “Runaway”, the same high notes that we all made fools of ourselves trying hopelessly to imitate, ah the folly of youth.

“One need have no cause to worry once one knows ones station in life” was it Queen Victoria who said that, or was it Maggie Thatcher?

I'm heading off to Tipperary with my beloved on the 4.45 train today, a funeral and later a wake, back on Friday so be good to each other.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 05:35 PM

'rail stop',gumbud? in RUSSIA?
M'DYAH chep,railway stations have many variations on their names,but "train depot" is probably the most common variant in the English-speaking world. The Russian railways have the most interesting one,namely "vokshol",which derives from a Russian ministerial visit to British railways during the early 1930's and the [then] main London terminus at Vauxhall. The Russian word derives from this visit, due to a a misunderstanding that "Vauxhall" meant "train station".
But,the growing propensity for 'easy-speak',propagated by an ever-growing requirement not to have to speak correctly,nor utter all those EVER-so-inconvenient syllables,resulted in a popularly adopted acceptance of shortened adjectives & pronouns,around the time that kilometers became kilometers,when things that once were "up to you" were suddenly "down to you",which was around the time people started saying they felt "good, rather than "well"; this was,of course,around the time adverbs became an endangered species. Thus,today people tend NOT to be 'sitting' or 'standing',but tend,insted,to be "sat" or "stood". Innit tho,blud. LOL. Nah't Ahmeen,bro. OMG,it's WELL troll!
[death,where is thy sting...]

...ok....I'll sod back off now....sorry.....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-08-2017, 08:32 PM

Oi tink we may meed to get onta grammatical structuralling next and the use of paragraphy structure too oi tink maybe a bit too much anglia sun has annoited ye head with mumble gumbles and that from a gumbud means a lot!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-08-2017, 10:26 PM

How would F.R. David, have put it?

Page 289 of 1676 « First < 189 239 279 287 288 289 290 291 299 339 389 789 1289 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top