Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2012, 01:34 AM

Re: Do you leave your Wireless Router on all the time?

I always turn mine off every night too.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2012, 02:38 AM

Always turn off any electrical appliance every night where you can, not just for saving money either, but in case of fire.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2012, 06:43 PM

I have a new Hub as my Router was causing a few problems, the BT man did it for me. I asked about unpluging it and he said no leave it plugged in so I do but I turn everything else off as we live in a wooden house.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2012, 12:03 PM

I have always turned my hub off when retiring for the night and have not experienced any adverse effects as a result. I suppose we all have different views on this subject but I don't see the point of leaving the hub turned on when we are not using it. The only thing that is left on is, of course, the Tivo box.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 03:48 PM

We turn our Sky router off most nights but because I'm not sleeping well at the moment were leaving it switched on as I go on the internet in the early hours of the morning.
Viscount
SE UK
Viscount is male 

06-07-2012, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I have a new Hub as my Router was causing a few problems, the BT man did it for me. I asked about unpluging it and he said no leave it plugged in so I do but I turn everything else off as we live in a wooden house.
BT will always recommend leaving the router on 24/7.....

you get your Homehub,.... but BT Openzone and BT Fon actually use YOUR router, which remains BT property.

That is how they can claim such massive coverage!

Easy to check, switch the box off and note that Openzone AND Fon have disappeared too!
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 09:10 AM

I only switch mine on as and when I use it, otherwise it stays off at the mains. There are many arguments by experts concerning the life of the components being stressed by constant on/off cycles, but leaving them on can also cause stress due to heat. So whatever you do, someone will say it's wrong! A spare router is worth considering in case of failure - cheap enough on eBay.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
I only switch mine on as and when I use it, otherwise it stays off at the mains. There are many arguments by experts concerning the life of the components being stressed by constant on/off cycles, but leaving them on can also cause stress due to heat. So whatever you do, someone will say it's wrong! A spare router is worth considering in case of failure - cheap enough on eBay.
I think you're right there Pete, your damned if you do and you're damned if you dont, a spare one is the safest bet.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Just had a look through my computer spares box - I've got three routers of various makes. Probably a bit of overkill, but I just can't throw 'em away!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
Just had a look through my computer spares box - I've got three routers of various makes. Probably a bit of overkill, but I just can't throw 'em away!
I've got lots of things like that. Paid good money for them and even though they have become redundant, I too can't bring myself to throw them out. Speakers, amplifiers, old computer parts ..all sorts of things, even an oscilloscope.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top