Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Charity Shops

Since having my kitchen & bathroom up graded I had a sort out of clothes/household goods & books to get rid of. So I rang a local Cancer Research shop to ask if they will collect, as I dont have a car,but No I was told they do not collect anything under 6 large boxes,i.e house clearance.It was a toss up between them the Rspca ,or a local Hospice store,so now I will ring one of them
Hawkeye
Devon UK
Hawkeye is male  Hawkeye has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 07:57 PM

Re: Charity Shops

I take it you mean they are getting greedy! There is an example in our local paper of a lady who purchased a brand new shirt in Primark for her husband for £8.00 and found the exact same shirt, second hand, in a charity shop for £10.00!
On challenging the shop, their answer was " we have to make as much as we can".
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 08:02 PM

We have differant charity Bags through the letter box and they collect full ones some days later .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 09:25 PM

Hi Deylon, that was terrible of them. greedy beggars !

What we did was ring around and found a charity that does up furniture for resale. As long as you are confident that there is nothing wrong with the furniture you are exchanging they will come and pick it all up by appointment on a date and time convenient to you and with no charge. Obviously mattresses must have the current fire safety label etc but if any other furniture is in good condition theywill renovate and spruce them up in their workshop and then sell them in their charity shop to the public with all proceeds going to their charity.
It was really nice to think that my old favourite kitchen stools, coffee table that I had for years, plus a practically brand new double mattress (got a king size bed), would be going to another home.

Wish I could think of the name of the charity (doh,having a senior moment) but there are a few of them in Shropshire.

As for clothes, books and other household items, I'm afraid I have lost all faith in the main charities and always give all goods to the Salvation Army. We have the Salvation Army Bin in the supermarket carpark and anything fragile we hand into the Salvation army shop in town.

Good luck anyway.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 09:29 PM

Dorothy House sell furniture here also there is somewhere called Sofa Project that do up furniture for people on low incomes to buy, I'm not sure it's country wide though.
We have bins in our Co-op car park for Salvation Army clothes and books, they're usually overflowing!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top