Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 07:57 PM

Genuinely Humbled

Hi

I have a couple of health problems of my own at the minute, I cannot drive or fly, walking 100 yards is a big problem.

I am as tough as old boots, these problems are transient and I will recover.

I have been confined to the house for a while, with nurses visiting, which is not for me.

Yesterday morning I had a phone call, there was a problem, could I help out?

They would send someone to pick me up and get me back.

It was a fishing trip, an Ex Serviceman, his helper had gone sick and he was desperate to go.

They arrived to pick me up, got my gear out of the garage, too weak to pick it up myself.

Thirty minutes later I first met Joe and his wife and 13 year old daughter.

Lovely people.

Joe is an ex service man, he is suffering from severe PTSD.

He has arthritis, spondylitis, diabetes and prostate cancer.

He is very weak, but very determined.

He has always wanted to fish, but on his two previous outings, had not caught anything.

Off we went to a fishing competition. something he had always wanted to do.

It took twenty minutes to get him out of his house and into the car.

We had a bad peg, he cannot walk far even with help, so first on the pool, not good.

He was incredibly optimistic and very polite, thanking everybody for their help.

His bait was given free, and I paid for his entry fee, the least that I could do, he is totally reliant upon benefits.

The first two fish he hooked he lost, he was not strong enough to get them in.

A change of tactics, so we went after the little fish.

He is incredibly independent, let me show him what to do, but insisted that he did it all himself.

It took an hour for him to get the hang of it.

Caught his first two fish, but the effort was so much he went to sleep.

Two hours gone in a five hour competition.

He woke up and off we went again, Joe insisting that he did everything himself.

Not easy with his problems.

He ended up with 21 fish and third overall in the competition.

He was over the Moon, in spite of my protestations, he insisted that he gave me my money back.

When we got back to his house, he was absolutely knackered.

The look on his face, when he handed his winnings to his wife and daughter was priceless.

I am genuinely humbled by this man.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 08:26 PM

Re: Genuinely Humbled

Thanks for sharing this, it's a lovely story. Nice to hear of folks appreciating each other and being kind.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 08:39 PM

What a wonderful story SF, You really are a kind-hearted person to have accompanied this lovely man when you were ill yourself. I always say you will be rewarded ten-fold for every good deed you do. Bless you.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 08:55 PM

Hi

Thank you for your kind comments.

I did not post it to gain any Kudos at all, just to point out how much we owe to others.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Thank you for your kind comments.

I did not post it to gain any Kudos at all, just to point out how much we owe to others.
Of course SF, Not for a moment did I think you put the topic on to gain brownie points. I know your input too well to ever think such a thing. I had to commend you because I honestly believe that what you did was really kind of you, especially as you were ill and incapacitated yourself and I am sure your own doctor would not have been too happy if he or she knew what you got up to that day when you were probably meant to be resting yourself. lol.

No, merit where it is due, more kindness in this world is always welcome, so good on you SF.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 09:17 PM

Strange how unplanned days/nights out are always the best.

Sounds like you both enjoyed it and that's all that matters.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Of course SF, Not for a moment did I think you put the topic on to gain brownie points. I know your input too well to ever think such a thing. I had to commend you because I honestly believe that what you did was really kind of you, especially as you were ill and incapacitated yourself and I am sure your own doctor would not have been too happy if he or she knew what you got up to that day when you were probably meant to be resting yourself. lol.

No, merit where it is due, more kindness in this world is always welcome, so good on you SF.
Just logged in and read SF's post and you've said everything I want to say shropshiregirl. Hats off to you swimmy
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 10:06 PM

You are a good kind man SF it shows in your posts now behave yourself get better soon and enjoy a bit of well deserved praise.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 10:25 PM

Lovely story Gibbs sounds like the fishing trip was beneficial to both of you.

I used to take my stepson fishing and found it very therapeutic just sitting there watching the water and the wildlife . It's just the thing for those who need a bit of peace
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Lovely story Gibbs sounds like the fishing trip was beneficial to both of you.

I used to take my stepson fishing and found it very therapeutic just sitting there watching the water and the wildlife . It's just the thing for those who need a bit of peace
Many a war could be avoided if they'd go fishing.
Too chilled to fight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top